Abandoned Gas! Gas n Go, Waverly, Iowa (Waterloo Too!)

Highway 63, driving north out of Waterloo, Iowa, on September 14, 2015.

Possibly the most Aaron-specific "desert mirage" situations I can recall occurred in the middle of this afternoon. Out in the middle of nowhere, when the need has really struck. A mere block from the highway exit, sits the place you need to visit the most. There, appearing to be open amongst the vast nothings surrounding it....


A Gas n Go!!

You are driving... You need to lighten the burden... A gas station is where you need to go...

But no!


From said highway, there are no indicators the place isn't open for business... 

And I really need them to be! 

Normally, finding an abandoned gas station during my travels would be an awesome bonus. However, finding an abandoned gas station when you really need one to be not abandoned is absolutely not cool.

Would have gotten out for more and better pictures, but I really had to go... Time was of the essence, so I snapped five pictures very quickly and we got out of there fast. The white pickup truck parked behind the station also motivated me to go somewhere else. Likely harassment by people that actually belong on the property, bringing a delay that I just couldn't have right now...

Laura and I had just left Waterloo. We had stayed the night before, visiting my sister and her (then) husband. Laura wanted to go back to the hotel and take a nap after dinner, so my sister asked if there was anything I wanted to do or see while in town...

"Show me something abandoned" being my standard answer to that question. 

After bringing Laura back, my sister drove me around the older parts of Waterloo, featuring some great buildings from the early 1900's. In addition to the old buildings in the bad part of town, other highlights of her tour included: The Cedar River, and old KFC turned liquor store, the Young Arena (home of Waterloo Black Hawks hockey), the former Hostess bakery, Flirt's Gentleman's Club (conveniently opened next door to the Dan Gable Wrasslin HOF), the John Deere Museum, and the Tack Room.


And the Waterloo Greyhound Racing Track! 

Opened in 1986, and slowly closed up until 1996, with changing gambling laws as the most cited cause. The building has sat vacant since, and was finally demolished in the Summer of 2018. This was one of the few decent pictures that I got from the road. Getting closer wouldn't have been easy, and there are already plenty of photos and videos online from people who went inside. While it would have been awesome to see for myself, not something I was ready to attempt.

After checking out of the hotel in the morning, we had to make an emergency stop at the Walmarts to replace my digital camera. It fell on the bathroom floor, busting the lens. Any trip to the Walmarts sucks, but upon leaving, at least I was provided a nice photo op to test out that new camera...


Just across the frontage road from the Walmarts was this former Mexican restaurant, virtually minutes away from demolition. That had pretty much already started, a small part of the other side of the building had been gouged by a shovel a few times. (You know... Practice...) All signage had been removed from the building prior to our arrival, so I didn't know what it once was. I asked my sister later, and she told me. I wrote it down in my notes. Just not the notes I had included with these pictures... I guess added to other notes in an unknown notebook or text doc...So once again, I don't know what this was previously.

It's a Chick Fil-A today!

Meanwhile, back in Waverly, I quickly came to the realization that the Gas n Go wasn't going to let me go. So to make the best out of a bad situation, I pulled into the lot and under a canopy for a few quick pictures. To my left was two barns on an old farm.


They're not abandoned. Well, maybe the one on the right is.

It looks unsafe!

Waverly is only slightly northwest of Denver, Iowa. (And what's with Iowa stealing names of other state's towns... Just wait for my write up on Coon Rapids, Iowa...) On the way to Waverly alone, we had to drive through Los Angeles, Iowa and New York City, Iowa...

Then just at the Minnesota State Border we hit Baghdad, Iowa... 

No we didn't...


That barn looks to be not nearly as structurally sound as this abandoned Godfather's Pizza in Waterloo!

Which was across San Marnen Drive, across from the currently being demolished Mexican restaurant, across the frontage road in front of the Walmarts! It has since been converted into a Credit Union. I do not know if it's the same building as Godfather's Pizza was.

You know, I sure don't want to say that Waterloo Rules!, but I'll give the town credit for rolling out the abandoned carpet in efforts to impress me! This simple overnight visit will provide multiple stories for this site over the next few however long I decide to do this! Multiple abandoned retail buildings and two more awesome places I haven't even mentioned yet!


I'm PUMPED!!!

Pretty sure that is the worst and lamest joke I've ever written. I strongly hope that none of you laughed at it...

After picking up the new camera, and getting photos of the Godfather's and Mexican restaurants, Laura and I needed to make a detour to the south. One of the places that my sister brought me to the night before was the Orange Public School. It was too dark to get any pictures then, I was told that I really needed to see it in the daylight.


And it was worth it!

Located at the intersection of Orange and Kimball, Orange Public School opened in 1915. The original building endured multiple additions over the years, then closed in 2013. A newer and more modern school was built about a block away.

This old building was sadly demolished in March, 2017. 

At least it made it 100 years. 

Barely.

But it was only September 2015 when we were here! Now in full brilliant sun, I could walk around the building and shoot it from all sides, getting some great pictures of the place. And was faced with a difficult choice while doing so... A set of doors of the southeast corner was left wide open. I could have easily gone inside and really got a really great story for my time. But Laura was waiting in the car... And I didn't want to get stabbed or arrested or run into an active meth lab, so...

Everybody's loss...

After the Orange, Laura and I drove back into Waterloo to meet up with my (then) brother-in-law. He was going to take us to Waterloo's top prize abandoned building...


The Rath Meat Packing Plant!

My (then) brother-in-law told me that Rath closed the plant in 1985 (it opened in 1891). The building has sat vacant ever since. It's mostly boarded up, but still filled with homeless people that live inside. He said every few years, the police go through and clear the entire place, usually pulling out 5 or 6 dead bodies each time. We walked around the entire building and grounds. It was fascinating on so many levels...

"But you wouldn't want to be here after dark..."

After seeing as much as we could see at Rath, we had lunch at the Wishbone restaurant, a few blocks away. The food was great (except the deep fried chicken gizzards, that's a delicacy that I will not be trying again...), but it attacked me shortly after we hit the freeway.


And you are closed so I can't go! 

And you are abandoned so I want to stay and see more!

This is TORTURE!

Luckily, "downtown" Waverly was a mile or so to the east. 

After the abandoned Gas n Go tease, I was finally able to go at the Kum & Go. 

What a nice thought...

I'd almost completely forgotten about the killer stash of Waterloo photos I took, until I started looking for a quick story subject. Of course once it began, that story more than doubled in size, because that's how I write... All of these Waterloo locations will make full blown stories on here at some point. I simply took too many great pictures to not use them!

So if you're ever in Waterloo, Iowa, just ignore the fact that it's five years ago and go abandoned building hunting you wont be disappointed!

And have lunch at the Wishbone. Just don't let ANYONE talk you into the bowl of chicken gizzards!


Comments

Someone else liked these...

Dinner Break! - Burger King - Coon Rapids, MN

The 1998 Pacific Online Colorado Rockies Team Set Story

Dinner Break! - Burger King - St. Cloud, MN

What Happened to Clark's Submarine Sandwich?

Abandoned Movie - Kitty's South (The Webber Theater) - Denver, CO

Abandoned Retail - Brookdale Mall, Sears & Perkins!

Abandoned Mall: Villa Italia Mall - Lakewood, CO

Ghosts of Riverdale Past - Coon Rapids, MN

Abandoned Retail - Target - Coon Rapids, MN

Dinner Break! - Burger Time - Coon Rapids, MN