Let's Go Back to the Minnesota State Fair to see Weird Al!

Earlier this year, it was announced that the 2020 edition of the Minnesota State Fair would be cancelled, thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic. And that kinda sucks, I was looking forward to going again this year...

So let's go LAST year!

On August 27, 2019, I made another appearance at the Minnesota State Fair, in order to catch Weird Al Yankovic's concert with a full orchestra. After months of debate, I decided I shouldn't miss this show. Plus, it would provide subject matter for the long planned sequel to my 2018 MN State Fair story. (Which has been seeing a steady increase in hits lately!) Since Laura turned down going with me, I went with my mom this year. Replicating the Fair visits we made in the 1980's and early 1990's.


Early (for me) that morning, I drove over to the folks house to pick my mom up. We then drove to the 35W Park & Ride, to catch the shuttle bus to the fair, and not have to deal with parking at the Fairgrounds. 

Inside the shuttle bus. We were some of the first people to get on, and I chose the front seat of the swiveling section. Knowing the bus would be packed, I wanted open space on at least one side of me. About to be surrounded by people for the next 10-12 hours, I needed to keep as much free area around me as possible.

I'm weird that way.

Look! It’s the Arden Hills Driving School! Where I took my drivers test, almost 30 years ago!

About a mile or two south of that, was the location of the Skyline Motel. According to the City of Mounds View Fire Department, the former motel was destroyed by a controlled fire/training exercise, on the same day we went to the fair. Actually, the fire was started at roughly the same time our shuttle bus drove by. But it was on the opposite side of the road from where my bus window was aimed, so I didn’t see anything that I wish I would have seen...

However, I visited the Ashes of the Skyline Motel, less than a week later, so I could write a story about it. The remains of the motel were cleared away less than a week after I shot those pictures. A newer and much nice motel was planned for the space.

Don’t remember what I was trying to take a picture of out the window, but when the camera took, this flatbed truck was in the way. Speaking of fire, looks like the silver car got a little toasted in whatever accident it was involved in. Nice timing by me…

A bit further down 35W in Roseville, you can find the Happy Chef and Days Inn motel, off a freeway frontage road. Well, if it was 30 years ago, those would be the businesses located here. Today, the India Palace and Key Inn, occupy those dated -yet identifiable- structures. 

After some more bus riding and waiting in traffic, we arrive on the western edge of the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. And then wait a little while longer, as the bus weaves it’s way back to the shuttle bus parking lot.

With banners identifying the different Twin Cities metro area shuttle bus destinations. Our bus was route 15, meaning it would drop off and pick up from the furthest edge of the lot. Forcing a long walk to get to the entrance gate, and a seemingly longer walk to leave that night. Seems longer because you’re already tired of walking around the Fair all day, so another 2-3 blocks to the bus kinda sucks…

We arrived at the Fair entrance just after 10am, with another few minutes chewed up waiting in line for tickets that we could have bought in advance, but didn’t.

Only $15 gets you a ticket!

There's a train across the parking lot. I should have explored it closer as I'm still curious if it's the same train that used to be in this area, before this end of fairgrounds was remodeled into a parking lot. I may have mentioned that in last year's story, and I'll probably repeat a few thoughts as I'm writing this. These new pictures bring up a lot of the same memories.

A moose statue stands in the grass, along the perimeter to the grandstand and stage area. 

The grandstand itself. Where I will be wrapping up my day at the fair.

Where I’ll be seeing this guy! For the fourth time in my life. Two of the three previous times I’ve seen Weird Al, was also at the Minnesota State Fair. So there’s precedent…

If I wasn’t here today for Al, who else could I have seen if I was here on a different day?

Well, there’s Hootie & the Blowfish, appearing straight out of 1996, with the Barenaked Ladies. I certainly didn’t care then, I absolutely don’t care now!

I’ve never heard of Dierks Bentley, but he looks like a guy that was in front of me at the gas station the other day. I sure didn’t want to hear that guy sing.

Trace Adkins and Clint Black? A bit too much ‘Murica for me…

Hall & Oats are being defrosted from the 1980’s, and they’re bringing along perpetual opening act G. Love & Special Sauce. Have they ever headlined anywhere ever?

Hey! I know some people that went to see ZZ Top at the 2019 State Fair!

Well, looking at all these options, I won’t be trading my Al tickets for any of these acts…

Trailer advertising the Midway. Other than a walkthrough, I won’t be spending much time here. 

As you enter the official State Fair, you have the option of walking under an archway held up by some brick pillars. 

And here’s the history of said gate.

And here’s my official 2019 MN State Fair grounds map. It got a little wrinkled over the course of the day, so my scan isn’t as clean as I’d like. But you can still read it.

Now that we’ve made it here, let’s start the Fair day by walking south on Liggett Street, towards the animal barns that I didn’t get to see last year.

Here’s a better look at the Fried Pickles stand that I have no interest in eating.

And the west Skyride station that I have no interest in riding again. Did it once about 35 years ago, so I’m good.

I didn’t take a picture of the building that had this deadly door, so I cannot warn you where not to sit.

Apparently it’s bad, warranting TWO skull and crossbones pieces of clip art, to represent just how dangerous it must be…

I don’t think that highly dangerous door was for the restroom, although that would make sense.

Not sure how old the restroom building is, but it’s old enough to still use the pee trough. 

Because men are cattle. Or pigs. Or something...

But for me, I’m going to use the classic flush toilet.

Even if it’s filthy, I don’t have to touch it, and I have all the privacy I like!

Just outside the restrooms, the St. Paul Police Department maintains a presence on the fairgrounds. If I was in charge of the fair, I’d put a mini donut stand next door, just because it would make me laugh. But the fair organizers don’t have the same sense of humor as I do, so the cops have to walk a few blocks to get their donut fix.

I bet they just get them delivered!

Continuing south on Liggett, towards the Midway, which would be on my right.

On my left would be a booth advertising “Digital Portraits.” Such a thing would have been pretty remarkable 30-40 years ago, but today the idea of Digital Photography isn’t very special. After all, I took this picture on my phone...

Next door to that was the Fresh French Fries booth. These fries are fantastic, and I’m kinda bummed that I didn’t get any last year.

Or this year...

There’s the Midway. Or at least the entrance to it, with that horrifying spinning swinging hammer ride up front. 

Why didn’t I walk up a few steps so that light pole was out of the frame?

I also should have taken a better picture of the sign advertising the Midway’s layout. You’ll have a hard time reading it and may get lost in the Atari 2600 style graphics.

Suddenly I want to play Combat!

No time! I want to get to Judson Avenue to see some animals! 

No time for a Galaxy of Drinks!

No time for Pretzel Dogs!

No time for Cheese Curds or Freshly Baked Cinnamon Rolls either!

Judson Avenue, at the southwest corner of the fairgrounds. In this area, one would find the barns for the farm animal exhibits. 

Last year (2018), when Laura and I went to the fair, we didn’t get here until after 6pm, since I had to work that day. This year (2019), I took the day off work, so I would have the time to see the stuff I missed in 2018. Laura chose to stay home as she didn’t want to walk around all day and be surrounded by thousands of people. Normally I would agree to that sentiment without hesitation. But once a year I can tolerate the things I normally can’t stand, because I actually like the fair. 

But before looking at animals, I think I need to eat one!

Minnesota State Fair tradition is to eat a Foot Long Hot Dog first. It’s something I’ve always done at the fair, as it provides a good base for the rest of the garbage food I plan on ingesting throughout the day! After eating, my mom went her separate way. This is how we always handled State Fair visits. We’d do our own things, then meet up at several points during the day. 

Out in front of the Horse Barn, Judson Avenue is marked with these fading horse pictures near the curb. I only saw these for horses, none of the other animals got them.


So let’s go look at the horses first!

Guess this plaque means the building went up in 1937.

Something this old and notable needs a more dramatic picture...


That’s better!

So let’s go inside...

Hey! Your stroller ruined my picture!

There’s a few people in here, but not a whole lot of horses. 

A good amount of empty stalls are in attendance…

Sure isn’t a lot of horses in the horse barn today…

There’s one!

There’s another one!

Neither of the horses still in the house had anything interesting to say to me, so I guess I’ll walk across Judson and go look at the cows instead. 

Stupid snobby horses… Thinking they’re better than me…

Stupid germ carrying snobby horses… 

This sign seems almost quaint given the conditions that cancelled the 2020 MN State Fair, and we all have to live under today...

Across the street, the outside of the cow barn had its own hand washing station set up. Were there a 2020 MN State Fair, I bet this would have been one of the most popular attractions.


Looking to the southeast at the entrance to the horse barn. The cattle shop is on the right, with the Lee & Rose Warner Coliseum across the street from where the cows roam. 


Or just sit there. Not a whole lot of roaming going on inside either place. 

So let’s go inside the Cattle Barn!

There’s a lot more cows in here than horses across the street.

Like this one busy picking his nose with his tongue.

Or this row of cows, being watched by this sleepy looking cow keeper. 

The corner of the Cattle Barn had this cow washing room.

It didn’t smell so great in there so I continued on my way.

Unlike the horse barn, which had a plaque saying it was built in 1937, I didn’t see anything noting the age of the cattle barn. Although, I really liked the roof over it.

Call your friends! It’s the MOO BOOTH!

Okay, I’ve seen enough… Next!

There’s a good sized line at Donna’s Bar-B-Q. I guess after looking at cows and horses, one would crave some pig. Like the cartoon pig getting ready to eat his own kind on the sign, And I’d like to note how thankful I was that the temperature today was nice and not miserably hot. Days at the MN State Fair in the upper 90’s are terrible. But upper 60’s and low 70’s are ideal for a summer day outside!

A very old painted sign on the west exterior wall of the Lee & Rose Warner Coliseum. I wonder if it pre-dates the actual horse barn I was at a little bit earlier today.

A covered bridge crosses Liggett street (which is now dirt instead of pavement), between the cattle barn and the coliseum. Ranchers will lead their cattle from the barn and into the coliseum for cow shows. Or whatever it is they do in there. There was nothing going on at the time I took this photo, but at certain times of the day, the road will be blocked at the bridge for the cattle to cross between the buildings.


Looking north up Liggett Street from an arch under the bridge. The entrance to the coliseum is at my right.

There’s something going on inside the coliseum, but no animals are taking part. No fans in the stands either. 

And this is the year before Covid!


I think it’s kind of mean of the MN State Fair to place a hamburger vendor directly outside the entrance to the coliseum floor. All the cows have to look at it before they enter the coliseum. What kind of message does that send? Talk about pressure to perform! This would be like placing Soylent Green stands all over the stadium at the Olympics. A not so subtle hint that if you don’t medal, you’ll be killed and eaten!

The concourse around the coliseum is lined with food and merchandise vendors. Apparently, Elvis is a fan of the Snack House. Wonder if it’s the popcorn or beer that he likes more?

Blurry photo (it was hard to get decent shots inside this rather dark old building) of a bright and colorful toy vendor.

Rounding the northeast corner of the coliseum. In some years, I’ve found a few booths that featured items I’ve had some interest in. This year there wasn’t a whole lot of interesting stuff going on inside. 

Where have you gone Fab-U-Mop?


So it’s time to leave the coliseum and go find something else to look at for a while.

I can’t believe Bob FM still exists… 

Did anyone watch that episode of 201 Proof Television from May of 1993? The one where we called Bob live on the air and had no clue what to say to them?

Bob sucks… 

That woman in the lower left corner shares the same bemusement as I do over Total Country…

So let’s go look at some Sheep-Poultry!

I hope that is two separate things and not some creepy cloned hybrid…

Inside this barn, there was a Sheep-Poultry event going on. I didn’t linger in this area to see what was happening, too many people gathered. So I walked around the less populated areas of the barn to check out some of the animals. 

Like this sheep, who was beginning a transformation to become a Zebra. 

What are they doing on the Minnesota farms these days?

None of my poultry pictures turned out, so enjoy the weed booth!

Well, not a weed booth you’d have at the Colorado State Fair, but at least there's a rug for weary walkers to stand on. 

In Colorado, it would have been a bean bag!

Poultry!

Standing at the corner of Judson Ave and Clough Street, looking north towards the Grandstand. After taking this picture, and a couple more on this block, I’d continue walking east on Judson towards the International Bazaar and Horticulture building.

I remember when the “All You Can Drink Milk” was only 25 cents at this booth. Also remember back to when it was endorsed by former Minnesota governor, Rudy Perpich. 

Eons ago…

I’ve wanted one of those giant inflatable Icee’s ever since I saw the one sitting at the Karmelkorn shop, next to the 20/20 Sound, at the Northtown Mall. Now that would be a lawn ornament I could get behind!

Lotsa people walking by the Quebec Style Poutine stand. Wonder how much they had to pay for the Bullwinkle license? Or is this like many of the characters showing up at the fair to endorse various products, and it’s not legit.

Looking east down Judson Ave.

Ghosts from the haunted house up the street enjoy a nice leisurely drift down the River Raft Ride. 

Surprisingly, no one is eating anything off the table in the River Raft Ride Splash Zone. Which is pretty far away from any water. I guess it's possible, but still…

Go-Karts neighboring the River Raft Ride. 

With Fresh French Fries directly across the street. Those sound really good right about now.

Minnesota Public Radio had a decent sized presence at the Fair.

While Amy Klobuchar was reduced to a one closet cottage, placed on the curb between the My Pillow Guy and and the Snake Zoo.

The jokes write themselves...

Actually, Klobuchar deserved better. I thought she performed well in the debates and had a clear message. However, her voice and manner being very midwestern, may not have played well on the national stage. She tended to ramble in interviews, but still came off as decidedly not insane. 

And when you compare it to what we've currently got...

Dairy Building!!!

Here is the entrance to the International Bazaar. I'm not going to use it just yet, other stuff to look at first...

Not going into the Horticulture building yet either…

I'm going to look at the Minnesota Twins tent first!

Complete with a miniature field for little kids to play on. I did another poor job of photographing this mini field.

In addition to buying overpriced Twins merch (with a State Fair increase on top of the already high prices) you could take a picture next to a cardboard stand-up of Miguel Sano. As a bonus, you can throw three baseballs to cardboard Sano, and he'll strike out for you!

Just like in the real games!

Okay, now I'll go into the International Bazaar...

As you enter, you'll see a small amphitheater. There's usually not anything going on when I've been here in past years. But when I have, it's always German Polka music, performed by old men in Lederhosen. 

Remember Bizarre with John Byner?

I'd like to watch some of that again...

The rest of the International Bazaar is a small maze of booths representing different countries in the world, via overpriced hats, clothing, expensive jewelry, candles and other unnecessary knick-knacks. 

Lotsa stuff like this...

And this...

Not that there's a whole lot of difference between the two...

So let's just leave and go across the street to look at some....

Agriculture & Horticulture!

Filled with exhibits of all kinds of fruits, vegetables, flowers and whatever else Minnesotans have grown on their farms and gardens and are proud enough of to bring to the fair.

Like apples!

The Agriculture & Horticulture building is round, with eight halls, leading to the center, which is filled with lots of flowers. Each of the halls is dedicated to a different theme.

Like corn!

Another hall had a series of homemade "scarecrows". 

Not sure what's going on here, but I'd award it a ribbon.

Going back out the same hall I entered, I stopped to look at these rock things. After a few seconds, I'd seen enough and continued my way down Judson Ave, towards Cosgrove Street. That way I could check out some of the older fairground buildings along Snelling Avenue.

So AARP is trying to appeal to younger and hipper audiences by revisiting the "Rock the Vote" movement of the late 80's and early 90's? I guess the targets of that campaign would be around AARP age now. And I'm a lot closer to AARP age than Rock the Vote age...

Thanks MN State Fair!

Now I'm depressed...

Near the intersection of Judson and Cosgrove, sits the JV Bailey House. It has significance to the MN State Fair for reasons... I can't tell you about it, so luckily...

There's a plaque!

And here's a statue of Snoopy!

One year later and I still love this old MN State Fair Administration sign. No idea how many years it has been here, but I hope it stays for many more!

It's conveniently close to this Administration building, which makes sense.

Turning around from the JV Bailey House, you'll find the east station of the Fair's Skyride, next door to the Agriculture & Horticulture building.

With the Space Tower behind you.

And a statue of the Fair's gopher mascot next to the Space Tower.

Then there's a bandshell, which is much bigger than the music stage in the International Bazaar.

No polka or Lederhosen here!

This photo kind of puts it all together.

Walking north on Cosgrove Street, toward the main entrance off Snelling. The main fair administration building would be on the right side, with the Creative Activities building in front of that. I'm planning on visiting that later in the afternoon.

Looks like something interesting is brewing in the sky to the north...

Looking out over the fence at Gate 5, which would be the East fair entrance. This gate has looked exactly like this for as long as I can remember.

When I visited the MN State Fair the prior year, I noted this building across Snelling Ave. Looked like it was being prepped for demolition. Well, one year later, it's still here. And still looks like it's ready for demolition.

Walking back down Cosgrove Street, I ran into my mom in the gardeney siting area by the Food Building. About 30 years ago, Carnes Avenue ran through this area uninterrupted. In a wise move, the road was blocked off to provide seating and some tables for diners. Before the planters and sidewalks were installed, it was just a bunch of four-sided picnic tables, sprinkled over a muddy plot of grass that wasn't growing. These days it looks really nice, with all hints of the previous road erased.

Looking for our own next round of Fair food, we decided to walk through the Food Building. 

All that Jerk didn't sound appealing...

Intrigued, but I mainly liked that awesome neon "Oodles of Noodles" sign.

Nope.

Amazing how many foods can be purchased in a "Value Bucket" size here…

The amount of people crammed into the Food Building by the Mouse Trap Cheese Curds booth was insane. 

Yeah... Get me out of here...

Over the last few minutes, rain had started to fall in the area, likely leading to the overcrowding by the Cheese Curds. It was light at first, but by the time we rounded the corner, the rain started to include hail, so we ducked back inside the Food Building.

After a few minutes, the pea-sized Hail storm was over. It wasn't hot to begin with, but after the rain, it cooled off even more. And that’s a good thing!

This brief rainstorm was all the precipitation the Fair would get today. 

Why is there a giant inflatable alien spreading his butt cheeks?

People were slow to fill the streets after the storm.

The crowded Food Building was more than enough for me to take a pass on a walk through of the Merchandise Mart. Even though I wanted a few interior picture for memories of baseball card shows past.

Since we didn't find anything else more interesting, some food from The Lunch Box sounded appealing. After all, they provided their own dining surface and seating. Plus, it was dry!

Front of The Lunch Box.

My lunch from The Lunch Box... This was a pretty tasty burger. The fries were good as well.

Though not as good as Fresh French Fries!

Combine that with a cup of fountain Coke, and this combo meal clocks in at a cool $13.50.

What a bargain!

After eating, you need to hit the restroom. Guarded by this little kid with a plastic sword. 

Next door to the rest rooms is the AFL-CIO building. This is far different than the AFL-CIO building from the late 1980's, that used to be here.

The old one had multiple booths inside, dedicated to different services. I'll always remember the fire department display booth, with one side showing the damage to a room after 2 minutes of fire. Another part of the display had a model of a four story house, which would fill with smoke to demonstrate the importance of smoke detectors. I watched that demonstration every year. Pretty sure I won some candy or something during the ticket drawings the firemen would do after the demo.

There was nothing cool like that going on here today.

My mom had gone off to look at some stuff in another direction, so I set my way north on Cooper Street, towards the Kidway. Where I passed this woodcarving of a guy and a little kid. Took me a while to figure out that was a little kid. My first thought was a guy walking with his pet chimpanzee.

Sticker affixed to a garbage can.

Looking south down Cooper Street.

Looking north up Cooper Street, at the start of the MN State Fair Kidway. A shrunken down version of the Midway, this one just for children.

Despite the fresh paint of coat, the Tilt-A-Whirl has not changed in decades.

Winky the Whale...

Heheheheheh… That’s like… Oh, nevermind...

Thinking we have some unlicensed Nickelodeon characters painted on the not-so-giant swing...

Some antique farm equipment on the north end of the Kidway. Built on the grave of Machinery Hill. There's still some machinery here, just nowhere near what there was 35-40 years ago.

The Stillwater Trolley. A long ways from Stillwater.

The North End Event Center, at the north end of the Fairgrounds. Located at the curve in the road, at Murphy and Cosgrove.

Down by the shanty town of Fair workers and exhibitors.

I stood in front of this booth taking bunches of since-deleted photos, trying to get a shot of the inflatable dancing guy in a pose that I liked. This one won.

The Fine Arts Center.

Which I did not enter.

The National Guard has a presence at the MN State Fair, complete with a turret-less tank, and a National Guardsman standing on top. 

They occupy the north end of the 4H building.

Big crowds at the Tulsi Gabbard booth... Her campaign got lost in the shuffle of all the other Democratic presidential candidates. Early on, I liked what she had to say, but she didn't stand out from the pack. Then some stupid stuff involving Hillary Clinton (who just needs to GO AWAY) and rumors of grooming by Russia as a potential third party candidate. Or something equally stupid.

We live in a comic book.

I have no idea what these people are watching those people on stage doing.

I didn't stay long enough to figure it out.

Knitted buffalo.

Knitted horse.

And right back to the east entrance gate.

Which was kind of the plan. I wanted to walk through the Creative Activities building, through to the education building. I like to see the craftsy artsy things that Minnesotans have made and submitted for judging. While you’ll see all the stuff you’d expect to see here, there’s always a few items that are head scratchers, or just plain pretty cool.

Like this model of a combine. Even though I know nothing about farming, you can see the time and effort put into building this. Hard to argue a blue ribbon for building a working model that is this complex. 

Another well deserved blue ribbon goes to a knitted Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem band! They’re all here, Zoot, Janice, Animal, Dr. Teeth and Sgt. Floyd Pepper. And that’s really cool!

But my favorite part of these exhibits is finding something that someone home made that really doesn’t belong amongst the stuff around it…

I don’t know what this is, but I love it!

Of course there are entire glass cases dedicated to baked goods, like breads and muffins…

Dessert bars, cakes and pies...

Or how about a cake made to look like a bucket of Sweet Martha’s Cookies? A MN State Fair tradition that usually is the top seller at each year’s fair. In 2019, the Sweet Martha’s cookie booth sold over $3.4 million in just cookies, during the time the fair was open. That figure would include the two buckets I had to bring home for Laura, after the Weird Al concert.

The Creative Activities building is connected to the Education building, so you don’t have to go outside to cross over between the two. In addition to a bunch of exhibitor booths from local colleges and non-profit groups, there are a lot of school projects made by children all over the state. 

Trying to look at it all can be overwhelming.

One area had a small pile of dioramas on display, and this one caught my eye. Apparently, this student lives in a black and purple dungeon, with giant black and purple spiders crawling on the bed and rug. And the bondage rack in the corner? I have no idea what that thing is... Apparently, while not enjoying torture, this student likes records. I’m pretty sure that’s a representation of Green Day’s American Idiot album (amongst others) on the floor.

Anyways, I liked this. 

Reminds me of something I would have done with a diorama of Basement World.

At least the spiders would be accurate...

That’s more than enough Education!

Time to start making my way towards the Grandstand area. I’m still a few hours away from Weird Al, but I haven’t explored that area a whole lot yet today. The State Fair entrance gate next to the Creative Activities building is on Dan Patch Avenue, which takes you directly to the Grandstand. About a 3 block walk westward, from this point.

Where one could find some local cuisine along the way...

Like Oof-Da Tacos! 

You can’t get more Minnesotan than that name. I’m assuming they’re not, but the idea of Minnesota Tacos implies a combination of Cream of Mushroom soup on Lefse. At least Oof-Da offers “Taco In A Bag” for those walking. Around this time, I ran into my mom again. She mentioned going to a booth for some good Tacos, but Oof-Da was not them. 

MN State Fair merchandise stand. In case you can’t find anywhere else offering MN State Fair souvenirs...

Butterfly House, formerly the MN Stat Fair Penny Arcade.

Looks like that guy in the plaid shirt is cutting a whiz on the Underwood Street sign.

A little up the block from Dan Patch Avenue, on Underwood, was the Pete Buttigieg booth. The more I learned about Mayor Pete, the more I liked him and what he stood for. A criticism lobbed his way was that he didn’t have enough experience to be president. But looking at what we have now, that argument seems very hypocritical. I like the idea of fresh YOUNGER perspective running this country. The problems that America faces going on into the 21st century, is a little beyond the comprehension of the 70+ year olds. Regardless of whether they are blue or red. Or especially orange.

I grabbed a postcard from his booth.

Not much hyperbole, but a simple message I could get behind. Sure, he’s young. Maybe a term or two serving in Congress would be a good idea. But I hope this country hasn’t heard the last of Mayor Pete.

The new condensed version of the MN State Fair Arcade. 

With very few video games, but lotsa stuff to try for tickets to win cheap crap that no one needs.

Now in the general Grandstand area, here’s a ticket booth for the grandstand shows.

There’s still tickets available to see Weird Al tonight!

Several years ago, this section of Dan Patch Avenue was blocked off to traffic. Some food booths have popped up under the pedestrian bridge, likely to keep dry from the rain. Despite it being more local wares, my mom and I did not stop for a Spamburger. I don’t hate my digestive system that much.

Instead, we’ll go to the Mexican Hat!

This is where my mom said the best Fair tacos are at, and I love tacos, so let’s give them a shot!

I appreciate the detailed menu.

And yes, the tacos were pretty good!

After tacos, my mom again left to do her thing, and I still had a couple of hours before Weird Al. So I just kind of wandered aimlessly, taking pictures of stuff that I hadn’t seen yet today.

At first, that meant going back to Underwood Street, at the end of the Kidway.

With the shrunken down second Skyride overhead.

I walked north on Underwood until I reached the cigarette butt wine making exhibit.

This batch isn’t quite ready yet. 

So let’s turn back, because I haven’t hit up Underwood south of Dan Patch yet.

The World’s Greatest French Fries are not better than Fresh French Fries.

Don’t let those fools at “Big Fat Bacon” next door tell you otherwise!

Next door to (not) The World’s Greatest French Fries is building called Fan Central. I can’t remember what used to be here, but it wasn’t always a building to assemble professional sports franchises and dealers under one roof. Although I did like this life size cardboard stand-up of Bill Murray, at the St. Paul Saints booth.

The Minnesota Vikings are too good for Fan Central, and set up their own tent next door. 

I hate football.

Obviously no one cares about the Farm Bureau...

I walked Underwood south, just past the food building to Carnes Avenue. The unblocked portion. In the distance you can see the Tiny Tim Donut stand. (The good one!) With the deep frying river ride of oil that the mini-donuts would float down, once getting squeezed out of the dough vat. As they went on their spiral journey, a rotating spatula flips them over mid way. It's fascinating to watch and I regret not getting a photo of it.

Next door to that is the Ye Old Mill ride. Which is your basic slow tunnel of love type deal.

Before we go any further, I have to leave a message...


Hold on...


It'll just take a second...


Sorry little girl on the bench, this wasn't meant for you...

Moving down past 830am WCCO Radio, was the second State Fair Arcade. This one was always more skill games for tickets than the old Penny Arcade was. Now both are reduced to being a small warehouse of stupid skill games for tickets...

Frogger is nearly 40 years old. How have the graphics gotten worse in that time?

Poor Elvis... Even in death he's groveling for pocket change.

After the arcade, I walked back up Nelson Street, towards the Giant Slide.

When I was at the Fair with Laura in 2018, a fight broke out in front of Miller's Cheese Curds. We were on our way out and walked by the chaos. There were punches thrown. But it was after 11pm, so it was probably just some angry people cranky from the heat...

The Giant Slide.

2020 was going to be the year I gave Al's Subs a try. Years back, there used to be a sub sammich vendor in the back of the Food Building. I think 1995 was the last time they had a booth. It was gone in 1996, the last time I went to the Fair before moving to Colorado. Doubtful that booth became Al's Subs in the current day, but if it is the same people, I've made a big mistake in turning down their food the last two years.

Instead, I walked up the path next to Al's Subs to the hidden restroom behind the Giant Slide. 

Sup ladies!

That allowed a nice shot of the Grandstand at the top of the hill. 

After that, I walked across Nelson (or at least shoved him out of my way) to see what was going on at Dan Patch Park. The large grassy area in front of the Grandstand, divided by a ramp to the second level, now filled with pop-up structures for various vendors.

Like KOOL 108 and KFAN 100.3, sharing a duplex to the amusement of no one.

The Star Tribune keeps a prime spot at the end of the ramp, leading to the second level of the Grandstand.

Behind that building is a great mural by cartoonist Steve Sack. After decades of his cartoons running in the Star Tribune, they remain one of the best parts of the newspaper.

There used to be public restrooms tucked under the Grandstand ramp. Not sure when they closed, but I remember them being real old and creepy. The St. Paul Pioneer Press used to run their newspaper booth under the pedestrian bridge, but that space was now closed off as well.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't ride this one.

The west end of the Grandstand is significantly different after the remodel about ten years ago now.

I climbed up the stairs to get an eye level picture of that sweet KSTP sign, on the west side of Dan Patch Park.

From that same vantage point, looking out towards the Midway.

Since I still had plenty of time before Weird Al, I decided to take a walk through the Midway. Not going to be anywhere near as cool as last year's photo set, taken after 11pm, when all the bright neon lights were at their peak.

Whopper Water is just not as exciting in daylight.

The Haunted House isn't near as scary.

Alpine Bobs is just here.

New York New York looks Run Down and Sad. Run Down and Sad.

No... Not really...

The Donut Family is here.


Dodgem's Test Track. And a bench that I'd bet gets pretty hot in the sun...

And that's more than enough Midway!

Wow, it was boring in daylight. So back to Dan Patch Park then...

Franchise of Tiny Tim Donuts up the street. With far fewer the deep frying river rides of oil.


KDWB 101.3 FM's booth used to be the MN State Fair home of Channel 9. (I don't remember their call letters. It wasn't anywhere near as cool as KITN 23, The Kitten That Roars!) Back before it's association with Fox, it was a local independent channel which was a haven for cartoons and cheap syndicated shows and rerun series. Getting a xeroxed copy of their new fall tv schedule each summer was a State Fair highlight in the mid 1980's.

Let's look at what's underneath the Grandstand!

Really wish this photo wasn't blurry. I've loved that fake computer wall since I was a little kid. One of these years I'm going to drop the $3, just so it can analyze the tiny scribbles I normally fill pocket notepads with.

"How much for your organ sir?"

"That'll be $10,000. Please don't touch it."

The second floor had some nice old Fair artifacts hung way high on the walls. Like 20 feet up so you could barely see them. Love that Icee sign.

But now it's time for that awesome Butcher Boys Steak Sammich, that I loved so much last year. Even though I've already eaten a bunch of garbage today, I need to have dinner before the concert!

So good!

After downing my yummy delicious sammich, it was time to go see Al. 

Walking past the ticket booth I took a picture of a couple hours ago, I see the show is now sold out. Good thing I already had my ticket!

It took my until late July of 2019 before I finally committed to buying a ticket to this show. Not sure why, it seemed like a no brainer. I've seen Weird Al at the Minnesota State Fair twice before, but not in the last 32 years...

While I had the option of sitting a lot closer to the stage than I did, I required an aisle seat because I can't sit boxed in with people on all sides of me. I also wanted a head-on view of the stage. When it comes to venue seating, I follow the rule of "It's better to go up than out". When I was looking for my seat, I found one at the end of an aisle, near the center section, of row 27.

August 27... Row 27... Weird Al...

Yeah, I had to buy that ticket.

Wanna know why it was available?


Almost directly in front of me!

But it didn't impede my view of the stage by much. So whatever...


And if I zoom in really close, there's the orchestra preparing to play parody music. (Almost positive this is the Minnesota Pops Orchestra, but I couldn't verify that.) They probably never imagined this gig while they were in orchestra school..

As the sun was setting, I looked to my right for this shot of the Ferris Wheel, on the north edge of the Kidway. That had an impressive light show on it's own.

Stage, just before the show started.

Two rows of tented vendors inside the Grandstand area. Plenty of food options and official Weird Al No Strings Attached Tour swag available for not quite unrealistic prices.

With the Fair Shuttle Bus Service Lot behind all that.

After the show, I picked up my official Weird Al No Strings Attached Tour T-Shirt.


With all the official Weird Al No Strings Attached Tour Dates on the back.

Then all the Weird Al happened.

I took a bunch of pictures that mostly didn't turn out. Also recorded some videos on my phone. The picture isn't great, but it sounds okay. Pretty good for a phone.

With the orchestra playing along side his band, and all the fun costume changes and video clips during the show. Clips of his 1989 movie UHF and fake interviews with arrogant celebrities. Everything you'd expect at a Weird Al show...

With fireworks at the end!

I waited until the Grandstand had completely emptied out before I left. I wanted to get some photos of it lit up, but as empty as it could possibly be. At least before security would tell me to leave.

Just a big fan of pictures of plastic stadium seats.

Taken shortly after buying my official Weird Al No Strings Attached Tour T-Shirt, and shortly before security DID tell me to "find the exit". 

After I found it, I also found my mom waiting by the Sweet Martha's Cookies Stand. I purchased the two buckets that Laura requested, then we made our way back to the State Fair Shuttle Busses, and the ride to the drive back home.

Bummed out there is no MN State Fair for 2020. There was still some stuff I missed during my picture tour, and more food I wanted to eat, to the point that I was looking forward to going this year.

But just like everything else worth looking forward to in 2020, reality is going to be a bit different.

Hope to be there in 2021. Without a mask, but hopefully enjoying a great deal of social distancing.


Comments

  1. what a great, comprehensive post! makes me miss the great minnesota get together, and i haven't been for a few years. i did see a show at the grandstand maybe twenty years ago (lyle lovett and bonnie raitt) and have been tempted by some of the acts in recent years. a weird al concert looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Someone else liked these...

Abandoned Movie - Kitty's South (The Webber Theater) - Denver, CO

Our Happy Birfday Fan Zone Fun Time Whatever - St. Cloud MN

What Happened to Clark's Submarine Sandwich?

Dinner Break! - Burger King - St. Cloud, MN

Abandoned Mall: Villa Italia Mall - Lakewood, CO

Abandoned Retail - Brookdale Mall, Sears & Perkins!

Ghosts of Riverdale Past - Coon Rapids, MN

Grumpies... The Coolest Coon Rapids Has Ever Been!

The Hawley Grain Elevator Fire - Hawley, MN

Dinner Break! - Burger Time - Coon Rapids, MN