Dinner Break! - Burger Time - Coon Rapids, MN

Burger Time is a small Fargo, ND, based fast food burger chain, that started their first restaurant in 1987. After initial success, they expanded by as many as 15 stores, in Minnesota and South Dakota. (Not sure, but I think there may have been one in Iowa for a time.)


For whatever unknown reason, Coon Rapids, MN, was chosen as one of their first expansion sites. They would build a new restaurant on the northeast corner of the Family Center Mall property. Back in the late 1980's, that area garnered a great deal of traffic, as it was the heart of Coon Rapids retail. While the Family Center Mall had seen it's better days, the Target and surrounding businesses across Coon Rapids Blvd. remained very strong. Not to mention the population of the town had blown up with the northern expansion into the Oaks of Shenandoah.

BOOOOOOOO!!!


Family Center Mall, from the southeast corner of the parking lot.

What used to be Burger Time, can be seen on the right side.

Only chopping the mall in pieces for the Anoka Hennepin School District 11, and the surprisingly resilient Grand Slam, has saved this dead shopping mall from becoming townhomes. 

FUN FACT!!!


In the 1970's, the "FAMILY CENTER" Mall, housed a theater that showed adult movies at night! 

Yes, I have watched the movie that was once shown in what is now a kindergarten or something... Oddly enough, it was terrible! But the "plot" is basically the same as that 1990 Christian Slater classic Pump Up The Volume! Google it if you're at work, and check it out!

Ahh... the dirty secrets of the young Family Center Mall...

In the mid-1980's, the mall was pretty close to full occupancy. Grand Slam was Red Owl, and Anoka Hennepin School District 11 had no presence in the Family Center Mall. The Ark pet store and Minnesota Fabrics held sway! After coming home from shopping, one evening, my mom told me that a Burger Time was going to open in the Spring (of 1988), in the mall parking lot.

Burger Time?


An actual restaurant based on the classic Bally/Midway video arcade game?


And it was a really fun game to play. You were Peter Pepper. Your job was to wander around a maze, stomping on giant hamburger toppings to make them fall into stacked complete burgers. All while avoiding evil eggs, pickles and hot dogs. You know, exactly what happens behind the walls of every drive thru.

I worked at Hardees, I know these things!


Burger Time was one of the first NES games I had. Video games used to be so much simpler, 40 years ago...

Google searches for the actual drive thru restaurant, named Burger Time, seemed to only lead to websites, videos and images of the old Burger Time video game. There is very little of an online presence for Burger Time: The fast food burger chain.

Guess I should make some then!

The plot of land chosen for Burger Time in 1988, would be the now demolished Lowry Realty building.


Shown here in a 1976 Coon Rapids Herald ad. (Thanks googles!)

This rather cool A-frame building, was previously an office for a local Century 21 Real Estate company. Before that, the Blue Jay Restaurant, and another restaurant before that. I don't remember the name of it, but I remember hearing that it used to serve tacos. So I hope that helps, but I can't back that up with anything.

But I can remember Burger Time!


Who, even three years after closing, still had the Bes(t) Malts In Town! I only had one a few times, but they were pretty good. Even more notable, at the time of the 1997 closing, their combo meal was still a very reasonable $2.87! 

Look closely and you can see the Coon Rapids water tower behind the sign!


Coon Rapids Burger Time, January 1st, 2000.

Opened in the spring of 1988, and closed in the summer of 1997.

Years back I recall a conversation I had on facebook, with a woman who said she worked there when the store closed. She showed up for work one day and was told to go home, the store was closed. No advanced warning. She said they were still doing decent business.

Perhaps they saw the writing on the wall, predicting the mass Coon Rapids Blvd. exodus, after Riverdale started opening up. Business would die a quick death once the reason for shoppers to come here, quit doing that. Maybe they looked into relocating with all of the other cool kids, and decided it wasn't feasible, so cut your losses and close up the burger stand...

After shuttering the store, it sat empty for several years.

Until either 2001 or 2002, when it briefly re-opened as Espresso Gyros To Go.


Shown here in October, 2017. Decades of sun and weather have destroyed the south facing awning.

And it looks awesome!!

It did not last long. In fact, I was living in Colorado during this time. And it had opened and closed in between my visits to Minnesota. I never saw Espresso Gyros To Go open once. Kind of pisses me off that they had to come in and ruin the classic Burger Time look, with their cheap-ass Espresso Gyros Failure To Stay branding...

That cool red and white tilted burger and drink cup logo was now a painted brown blob on the fence. Until it was removed in 2018. Burger Time is covered up by that stupid banner, and all the left behind classic Burger Time signage is long gone.

The least they could have done was take their name banner down when they left...


The awning looked better back on September 21, 2011. Which was the first time I stopped to take a series of photos of the property. Those are scattered throughout the story.

As I mentioned, there is next to nothing of an internet presence for Burger Time. 


This review from the Bismark, ND, Burger Time, was the only video I could find on YouTube. In addition to reviewing his order, a nice presentation of Burger Time's history is noted. Including some stuff I didn't know. If you've got 10 minutes, it's well worth your time.

So congratulations, Dining Dakota, you get the trophy for providing the only Burger Time content on YouTube!

I will proudly claim mine for providing the only Burger Time content, in blog form.

Aren't we special!


Hopefully no one throws oversized wieners and eggs at us...


Over the years, I had several "adopted" abandoned sites that I watched closely and photographed often, looking for changes. One of the last remaining of those in Coon Rapids, would be the old BurgerTime building. Unfortunately I was in Colorado for much of 1996-2018, so I missed a big bunch of the decay. But every vacation I took in Crapids, I dropped by the Burger Time to see what was going on with the place. 


June 16, 2018

Not even three weeks after Laura and I moved back to Coon Rapids, I got a tip that something was happening at the Burger Time building. I drove up to check it out, and saw the weathered and tattered awning had been removed. A new coating of plywood replaced the old, wrapping around the top of the building.


Broken sheets of the old plywood, circa 1988. 


Tattered Burger Time awning pieces, laying underneath the framing used to support it.


Concrete pad that used to hold three round, stone picnic tables.

The trees around it were no more than 6 feet tall when Burger Time opened.


That should read: "11248" (Crooked Lake Blvd. Coon Rapids, MN, 55433).

Send Burger Time some mail, see if anyone writes back!


Someone barred the back door. 

Now how are the poor employees supposed to report for duty?


Not only Peter Pepper, but Mr. Hot Dog, Mr. Pickle and Mr. Egg, as well?


Getting ready to place my order...

Love how overgrown the landscaping has become. Wild, yet contained by curbing. At least in the never used left lane.


Amazing how the white paint for separating lanes, is still pretty clear after all these years. 


Looking back into the parking lot.


Hold on, I think I have a coupon...

I don't know who was responsible for writing the Coon Rapids Burger Time coupon text in 1993, but a good piece of business advice would be: Don't mention your direct competition on your coupon! Would have made so much more sense to go with Cheap Skate as a landmark to measure distance.


As a mark for old video games, it's cool to find stuff like a promotional flyer aimed at selling cabinets to the booming video arcade business of the early 1980's. 


Oh good, the Juggalos are working today...


Here's an interesting fragment of Coon Rapids history!


Cool! A little peek into the back door of Burger Time! Thanks to a small hole ripped out of the plywood, covering the drive thru window, enough light is coming in to see a little bit. I can't imagine how claustrophobic working here would have felt.


More awning and old plywood tossed onto the west side drive thru lane.


West side of the building.


Looking into the small hole in the plywood. The glass was really dirty, so this was the best shot I could get.


A year earlier, when I was still in Colorado, someone had broke into the building from this window. Ripped the board off and smashed the window to get inside. A few pictures were posted to facebook, that somebody took through the new opening. It revealed that when Espresso Gyros To Go decided to just go, they didn't clean anything before vacating. The fryer still had grease all over it. Fountain cups were strewn around the floor, along with anything else still left behind. 


Despite being closed for nearly 15 years by this point, Espresso Gyros To Go still had their menu attached above the window. That is a very limited menu. Makes you wonder what the point even was in starting this restaurant concept up?


West side of Burger Time, August 11, 2016.


West side of Burger Time, October 31, 2017.


West side of Burger Time, June 19, 2022.

Always was a fan of the circular cement planters with One Way signs stuck in them. The Family Center Mall put them at the end of every parking lane. Some of them still remain. Many are smashed.


West side of Burger Time, November 3, 2023.

The depths of Hell are beginning to open up, next door to Burger Time...


Imagine it's 1983... You now have the option to play Burger Time on your Intellivision...


Or a Coleco Vision (Adam too!)...


And thanks to the fine folks at M Network, your Atari 2600!


Damn you Espresso Gyros To Go!

You took away that awesome Burger Time sign!


Which will likely be seen once again, just as soon as the wind finishes ripping the flimsy looking covering off the frame.

Longtime fans of Four Baggers (or at least the ones that have been around since November) will remember my recent story about driving to Fargo, ND. Not specifically for the purpose of visiting an open Burger Time, although that was a strong factor in convincing me to go. 


I'm not sure if this Fargo location on Main Avenue, is the original Burger Time restaurant, or if that was someplace else. 


The drive thru had a steady stream of customers, even at 3pm on a Tuesday afternoon. 


The Fargo drive thru landscaping isn't anywhere near as out of control as Coon Rapids...


A better look at the daily specials. Today is the Mushroom Swiss Burger.

I'm not a fan of mushrooms, so I'll pass on that.


Simple and basic Fargo Burger Time menu.


Other side of the big sign.


Menu board above the walk-up order window.


Stack of paper bags and the real life Peter Pepper assembling orders. After stomping on them, of course.


If I was interested in the commute, I could take a part time job here...


Official Burger Time window shade.


Receipt for my first Burger Time meal since 1996!


Okay... I will!


I'd timed my arrival and order to coincide with the start of the Minnesota Twins playoff game with the Houston Astros. Which I was going to listen to on the radio, while I ate. The very first time I had Burger Time, it was also eaten in the car, while listening to a Twins game on the radio. So this seemed like the perfect setting for my Bigger Bacon Cheeseburger Combo reintroduction.


The fries were kind of a disappointment. Not terrible, but different than I remember. These had that synthetic rice flavor to them that fast food fires have devolved into over the last 30 years. I remember them being more of a fresh cut potato, natural fries.

Fries were not the reason I cared. 


However, my Bigger Bacon Cheeseburger was exactly as I remembered. Didn't want the works, just pickles, onions and ketchup for me. Minor gripe being the diced vs ring cut raw onions. Diced works better for hot dogs (although the hot dogs are evil), and rings work better on burgers. Doesn't change the taste, so I wont deduct points. 

The beef patty was seasoned exactly the way I remember. And the taste took me right back to the summer of 1996, eating my Burger Time bounty on a couch at Ninja School. After a 99 Spillihp graveyard shift and visit to the 20/20 Sound at Northtown.

This was worth the drive.


At some point, the traditional quarter pound beef patty became a third pound beef patty. I read somewhere that years ago a fast food restaurant went to a third pound patty, to compete with McDonald's. (I think it was a pre-YUM Brands, A&W Root Beer.) Their burger was a massive flop, because everyone thought the third pound was smaller than the quarter. Because 1/4 looks greater than 1/3, because America is poorly educated. Bet those 1/2 pound burgers that Fuddruckers used to sell were REALLY tiny!

Maybe that's why Fuddruckers isn't around anymore?


After eating and rounding up the trash, I decided that I needed to keep the paper bag it came in.


Boy! Have We Got Tires is next door to the Fargo Burger Time.

I would have liked to see the rest of that ad.


Thank you Fargo Burger Time, for the fantastic lunch and vivid memories.

I needed a new bag to sit next to my previous souvenir Burger Time paper bag.


Longtime close personal friend of Wasted Enterprises, and namer of the blog, Trav, donated this bag from his visit to the Elk River Burger Time in 2001. I texted him the photo of my Burger Time bag and cup, from the Fargo parking lot, this afternoon. Coon Rapids Burger Time was a popular choice for eats, for both of us, when hanging out in the Basement World/Ninja School days. 

Elk River's Burger Time closed in 2002. 


Which came a significant amount of years after these early home video games,


October 31, 2017. Another view of that deteriorating awning of the Coon Rapids Burger Time.


June 19, 2022. Hey! This desk would like to place an order!


December 17, 2023. The pavement around Burger Time is really starting to look rough.


Same day, different angle.


Same day, differenter angle.

The Anoka-Hennepin District  11 commandeered section of the Family Center Mall sitting behind it.


April 23, 2023, Off Roadin' to Burger Time! 

Exactly one person gets that reference. Yeah, that pavement is really looking tough. Wonder if there's any evidence of volcanic activity under the Family Center Mall's parking lot? 

Kinda reminds me of Populous...

Maybe a mystic portal is about to open up, allowing you to time travel back to New Years Eve 1999? 

Or I could just adapt the story from Wasted Quarter #48 "Burn Your Candle Apple Pants!"

The only reason I have any photos of the Coon Rapids Burger Time, wearing it's original clothes, is due to a series of stories I was writing for Wasted Quarter in the fall/winter of 1999/2000. I'd planned a vacation to Minnesota to coincide with X-Mess and New Years, to be spent with friends and family, and take photos of places like Apache Plaza and Eden Prairie Center. The Family Center Mall was also on my photo targets list, and I'd taken my pictures a few days before. Next, I needed a few pictures of Burger Time, to add into that woefully inadequate, 23 year old story. 


Saturday, January 1, 2000

Doktor John, the Burger Time sign and roof of the Vanilla Honksicle.

blickablickablickablickaFOUR!!

The story actually began New Years Eve Eve, when Carl, John and I met up with Karen and Scott at the Lincoln compound. After hanging out there for a few hours, the three of us ended up at Broadway Book and Video, in downtown Minneapolis. John and I had to soothe Carl's fears that he would be arrested for not wearing a coat. Since that meant he was obviously drunk. I had a strange encounter with a homeless man and the Crazy one peed in a jerk-it booth wastebasket.

These are the nights of legends...

I don't remember how it happened, but the three of us ended up at Coon Rapids Perkins, with my dad, around 5 in the morning. John was drawing cartoons and writing quotes down from the night's events. Norm wasn't as impressed with the Carl and John show as I was. After Perkins, my dad left to go to work, Carl left to go home and get some sleep and I went back to John's house with him.


We sat in his living room and continued to make more cartoon drawings in his living room. Mostly, it was supporting characters to the Bob Loo the Stick Duck Universe. A new joke written for the night which absolutely tickled John and I, yet only irritated his girlfriend, who was trying to sleep. I still haven't figured out why Maria didn't find "Leg With Face" nearly as funny as John and I did.


As we drew random stupid crap, we were watching the television. Starting at 7am, the first time zone would flip from 1999 to 2000. Doktor John and I were hoping to see some actual Y2K disasters unfold in real time, on the TV. If Sydney, Australia, shut down due to the computer bug, It would have thrown the entire planet into panic and chaos, given the impending doom that would creep across the planet, one hour at a time. It was going to be really fun to watch! Alas, nothing happened. Leaving us pretty disappointed that there was no big Y2K disasters around the planet, and thusly, no interesting New Years Eve morning television.

I went home just before 10am, and was back awake by 3pm. After dinner with the folks, I picked John up and we made our way back to Carl's, with a stop at the 99 Spillihp for supplies. And no one had a Small Jazz Accident! The big New Years Eve bash at Crazy Carl's saw visits from Meister, Jen, Trav, Gas-In-The-Car and Pregnant Bitch 2000. Who is likely a grandmother by now. 

Roughly 2am, when the basement at Crazy Carl's cleared out, we spent the rest of the night watching Faith No More and Weird Al videos, then Pink Floyd’s The Wall. As I was laying back in the Supa-Couch recliner, I fell asleep during The Wall in a really uncomfortable position. When I woke up I was so stiff I could barely move. 


John fell asleep first, so that was documented.

I was woke up around 11am this morning as John was digging through Carl’s DVD’s. He settled on South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. Good choice for the first film of the new year. Thankfully all I had to do was turn the Supa-Couch-O-Matik back and butt massager on to recover from my pretzel like slumber. After 20 minutes, and a couple of cigarettes, I felt like a new man! When South Park was over, we had plans for more around the city photo shoots today. It was about 1pm when we left Carl’s. I had to bring Dr. John by his parents house so he could get his trench coat for an ill-advised photo shoot, that really seemed like a good idea at the time. 


Next stop was the closed up Burger Time on Crooked Lake Blvd. John was going to write a manifesto for me to run in Wasted Quarter. He would threaten the city that if they didn’t give in to his demands, he would blow up the Coon Rapids Burger Time. But we were stuck on what those demands would even be... None of this ever happened, and your manifesto is nearly 24 years late, good Doktor! After all, Burger Time still stands. It's in real rough shape, but it's still standing. I haven’t even printed a Wasted Quarter since 2016... 


After Burger Time was a stop at Mississippi Elementary School. We were here for more material for the 201 Proof Television issue of Wasted Quarter. Specifically, the softball fields where we filmed parts of the “Burger Baseball” sketch. The afternoon was getting colder, and standing out there in an open field with the wind howling was too cold for enjoyment. We snapped up pictures as fast as we could, then left. I broke that bat I'm carrying on two large tightly frozen snowballs. We took a photo so it looked like I was breaking it over my head. 

Carl, John and I decided that we needed some semi decent food for lunch, so we stopped at Perkins. 


John was in the process of trying to win Space Monkey from the skill crane.


He didn’t succeed, and the Monkey mocked him for it.


Carl took a bunch of photos at the table with his digital camera, while waiting for our food.

Including one of me writing out notes in my notebook.


We never did get around to making our commemorative New Years Eve 2000 Crazy Carl T-Shirts...

FUN FACT!


You can even play Burger Time in Stockholm, Sweden!


Would that make Peter Pepper a Swedish Chef?


August 27, 2023.

After having breakfast at my mom's apartment, something in my head told me that I needed to go to Burger Time on the way home. There would be something there that was photo-worthy. Turning into the lot, I didn't notice the hole in the plywood, under the Espresso Gyros To Go menu board, right away.


Pulling around to the overgrown drive thru order taking area...


Burger Time dumpster zone.


Which was full of vagrant garbage behind the chain link gates, back in August 2016.


They never used left drive thru lane. Unless you had a passenger in your car to handle the transfer of money and food, doing so would be difficult from the driver's position. 


A bush so large you couldn't see the menu behind it.


Oh, there it is...

Wait, what's that on the ground behind it?


Holy shit! That's an authentic piece of Burger Time sign!

How did this survive the transition to Espresso Gyros To Go? And why is it laying here, some 25 years after Burger Time closed, propped up on the curb? Who put this here?  Why didn't they just finish taking it? Well... I can neither confirm, nor deny, any rumors that this sign accidentally fell into the trunk of my car, when I drove by.


The old back door with the 1989 CRPD Alarm permit sticker, dirty window and Juggalo tags is gone. Replaced by a sold black barrier, with no access point.


Similar to the covering blocking the drive thru window.


Coming around the corner is when I saw the hole in the plywood. Now I had to get out of the car. This would allow me the best chance of interior pictures I've ever gotten to take. 


The front window may be broken under the plywood, but at least the credit card sticker is still in place. In case you wanted to put a Bigger Burger Combo on your Diner's Club card.

Which I'm sure a bulk of the patrons did...


Wow...

The floor is covered in Pepsi cups, broken glass and any leftover food prep and storage items left behind. The walls have been tagged and everything is generally destroyed. Most alarming is the fact that the back of the building is so well lit. That's not because the lights are on, obviously a portion of the roof has given way, and the interior of the store is just open to the elements. After sitting closed for over 20 years, and looking like this today, I don't think there's anything salvageable left in this building.

Earlier I said that removing the Espresso Gyros To Go banner covering the Burger Time logo, was the least they could have done. No. The least they could have done was to clean the freaking fryer before walking away from the business in 2002.


Tilting the camera left...


Tilting the camera right...


Peter Pepper is very disappointed in what you all have done to his place of employment.

Mr. Pickle was more respectful...


Burger Time in Detroit Lakes closed in 2011 (thanks Googles).

The building was quickly demolished in favor of a new liquor store.


Coon Rapids Burger Time parking lot, September 21, 2011.


Coon Rapids Burger Time parking lot, August 27, 2023.


Coon Rapids Burger Time ordering area, August 11, 2016.


Coon Rapids Burger Time ordering area, October 31, 2017.


Coon Rapids Burger Time ordering area, June 19, 2022.


Coon Rapids Burger Time ordering area, December 17, 2023.


Coon Rapids Burger Time order intercom, September 21, 2011.


Coon Rapids Burger Time order intercom, October 31, 2017.


Espresso Gyros To Go Menu board, September 21, 2011.


Burger Time Menu board, January 1, 2000.

So glad I remembered that this would be an important picture, 24 years later. Wish I would have done a better job framing it. I could have gotten a better angle of the menu, with the full sign to the left. Disadvantages of not having a digital camera I guess. Now I can recognize instant do overs.

Why was I in such a hurry? Not like there was a line of cars behind me...


When the game was released to home video game market, a marketing tie-in with a fast food restaurant was inevitable. Just makes perfect sense to do it. 


In the summer of 1983, that promotion went to Wendy's!


October 11, 2023.

Burger Time sign, Moorhead, MN.

Yesterday I had lunch at the Fargo Burger Time, so today it was Moorhead's turn. Laura was with along for today's driving around, and she really wanted to experience it once again.


The property layout here is smaller and reversed compared to what Fargo has to offer.


Think big!


Moorhead Burger Time order window.


Moorhead Burger Time order window menu.


Boo...

Spooky...


Still claustrophobic, but now that I've seen the absolutely destroyed interior of the Coon Rapids Burger Time, I have a better understanding how they can work in such a confined space.


We decided to skip the fries today, and I doubled down on the Bigger Bacon Cheeseburger. It'll likely be a while before getting back up here, so I'll have to store it like a camel.

Not the wisest of moves...


Walking around, taking pictures of the restaurant, I was getting odd looks from the Moorhead Burger Time employees, so I briefly explained my interest in the place, showing them a photo of the Coon Rapids store interior. She called us Burger Time Super Fans and gave us free cookies!


Hold on, I think I have a coupon...

This Burger Time coupon ran in the October 1995 issue of Salmagundi, the school newspaper of Anoka Ramsey Community College. From the brief period of me being a student there, wrapped around the briefest of periods of me actually attending classes. 

Burger Time was always a convenient stop on my way home from making letters out of silly putty, that spelled out "A R can suck it!", and sticking them to the window. Started up some interesting conversations! A little bit of Burger Time, mixed with a little bit of SupaNoFriendo, before going bed in time to wake up and drive to 99 Spillihp, to do it all over again!

Now THOSE were the days!


Moorhead Burger Time side awning


Hold the Mayo, Lettuce and Tomato.


So, how does it stack up to yesterday?


I rule it a tie. Just as good as yesterday's food in Fargo. 

Laura agreed with everything but the Fargo part, because she wasn't there.


Garbage can at the corner of Moorhead Burger Time's parking lot and entrance. Across the street from Stenerson Lumber. Just a classic looking sign from an era getting further and further away, each year.


Good of them to let you know that driving up to the left lane isn't going to get you a Bigger Burger...


If you have a good memory, you'll notice two distinct changes between the Fargo and Moorhead Burger Time Drive Thru Menu Boards. 

1. Moorhead does not offer the three combo meal upgrades.

2. Moorhead will not make you a shake. 

You've gotta cross the border for that kind of stuff...


Well BT, you outlived the brand new BK, a few blocks to the east.


I never played Burger Time Deluxe on the Game Boy before.

Somehow between the video arcade in 1982, and the 1991 Game Boy release, Mr. Hot Dog became Mr. Wiener.

Mr. Wiener? 

Now who is going to take him seriously?


Take accurate notes, there's a quiz at the end.

Now that we've placed our order, lets travel through time to pick it up!


Coon Rapids Burger Time barred back door with tattered awning, October 31, 2017.


Coon Rapids Burger Time drive thru window, September 21, 2011.


Coon Rapids Burger Time drive thru window awning, September 21, 2011.

Sweet "Burgers... Fries... Pop..." label scar left behind. That's all Burger Time!

Not Espresso nothing!


Coon Rapids Burger Time drive thru window awning, August 11, 2016.


West St. Paul's newer, modernized, Burger Time closed abruptly in November 2022. (Thanks Googles!)


Burger Time, in what most likely was a Marvel comic book ad, circa 1983.


August 29, 2023.

Two days after I found the opened front window at Burger Time, I went back to see if anything had changed. Now there's a human-sized hole ripped out of the plywood. 


After I parked my car and walked up to the building, I startled a shirtless tweeker, wobbling out of the dumpster area. He turned and went back to where the trash should stay. 


Freshly broken glass with plywood pieces underneath the open window.


Yeah... What was tweeky doing???


Oh look! Frying Procedures Chart!


I'm sure our methy friend was looking for any scrap metal he could get out of here before getting caught. Really stupid with the Coon Rapids fire station directly behind the Burger Time.

Either way, this was the best look I'll probably ever get, inside the Coon Rapids Burger Time.


Wonder if Rybread knows Dert and Flar?


What a sad mess...


I'd like a Pepsi...


Hold the broken glass, please...

So that's the sad state of the Coon Rapids Burger Time. What was once -arguably- this town's best tasting fast food burger, is now this. A broken pile of filth. Attacked by taggers and tweekers alike. Exposed to the elements from the big opening in the roof. The building is long past salvageable, and should be removed.

Of course, the selfish side of me just wants to watch it rot away for another decade or two. 

Even though it's a ways away to get the real Burger Time food today, it does still exist as a thing. And that's cool If a simple drive thru, fast food burger is what you're into, and you're in the area, give them a shot. Their website, itsburgertime.com, lists locations open in these towns

Current Locations:

Minnesota

Waite Park (St. Cloud)
Moorhead

North Dakota

Bismarck
Fargo
Grand Forks
Minot

South Dakota

Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls West


Seems like I need to dust off the old NES, figure out how to hook it up to the modern TV's of today, and stomp on some burgers myself.

And pencil in a visit to Waite Park, before too long...

Comments

  1. A knock off of the game comes with the game boy knock offs from Amazon for $20. Also, why didn’t you mention the abandoned drive thru couch from about 2002?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Colorado from 1996-2018, so I missed the couch entirely... Did someone just drop it off in the drive thru lane or something?

      Delete
    2. I was always bummed as a kid seeing the closed Burger Time and missing out having ever eaten there.

      Delete
    3. There were a few couches over that time span. I know one was blue.

      Delete
  2. Blogspot and my cellphone do not like each other, evidently. Let's try on a computer:

    I don't read your posts every time they're published, but whenever I sit down and dive into one, I'm seldom disappointed. The fact you've been documenting the decay of this place as best you could while living in Colorado all those years is both amazing and insane.

    I drove past this site many times in the 80s while living in CR. I had completely forgotten the real estate building that was once there. I can almost picture it now, and only because you reminded me of it. I'd never remember, or have reason to remember, that there was a real estate building at that site once upon a time if you hadn't jogged that memory.

    We never ate at BT, that I recall. Mom lived in CR until 1997, so I was in town often enough during college and my early years post college, but I don't think I ever stopped there one time to take home a sack. (That has a familiar ring to it....)

    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Someone else liked these...

Abandoned Movie - Kitty's South (The Webber Theater) - Denver, CO

Our Happy Birfday Fan Zone Fun Time Whatever - St. Cloud MN

What Happened to Clark's Submarine Sandwich?

Dinner Break! - Burger King - St. Cloud, MN

Abandoned Mall: Villa Italia Mall - Lakewood, CO

Abandoned Retail - Brookdale Mall, Sears & Perkins!

Ghosts of Riverdale Past - Coon Rapids, MN

Abandoned WalMarts over Apache Plaza

Abandoned Retail - Target - Coon Rapids, MN

Abandoned Auto - Saxon Motors - Elk River, MN