New Old ebay Expos with Zeal, Plus 2023 Stadium Club and 2024 Topps

Trying to clear out the baseball card collecting blahs from the way 2023 ended, I figured the best way would be a big buncha new Montreal Expos cards!


Like (the rest of) this one!

In the other side of my collecting world, Laura has discovered the exciting pastime of buying single cards off eBay. Starting in mid-December, she has assembled a very impressive Justin Morneau collection. He is her favorite Minnesota Twins alumnus, which was only solidified from watching and listening to him on Twins telecasts the last few seasons.

At least in 2024, we won’t have to hear Dick over him…


2007 Ultra Feel The Game - Justin Morneau

One of many Morneau cards she's bought, that I do not have in my Twins binders.

I’ve never had the patience to do much with eBay. Laura explained how much easier it is to use now, compared to 25 years ago. (Now there's perspective, I bought cards off ebay in 1998...) 

At least I don't have to drive up to Ace Cash Express for money orders any more.

While hunting Morneau's on eBay, she asked me what cards of Expos players I wanted. There's a question that has no real answer. I have several hundred different Vladimir Guerrero cards. Plus tons of Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter cards, and mostly complete team sets from 1969-1996. The biggest need would be cards of the more obscure players, from between 1997 and 2004. Since I bought the least amount of cards during those years.  

You can always look for single cards, and buy them one at a time. But the smarter way to go is to find a lot that contains multiple cards that you want. After a bit of searching, I found one such lot that contained multiple insert cards from the last decade of Montreal Expos baseball. At a price I couldn't argue with. 

So in honor of that, I'm going to Whatever that lot, and mix in some other new old Expos singles to arrive via the ebays. But no one that isn't me, really cares about any of that! To compromise, I'm going to mix in some of the new retail product I've picked up over the last month or so. I've read a lot of online opinions about two of Topps most recent baseball releases, so here's mine.

I'm just going to make you work for it.


Six Blasters of 2023 Stadium Club, and one Mega Box of 2024 Topps Series 1 Baseball.

No Jumbos for me this year. 

First, let's commence to counting down the Top 42 new Montreal Expos cards to arrive via the ebays!


#42 - 1989 Donruss, Score, Fleer - Randy Johnson

Already have plenty of Junk Wax Johnson rookies, but I’ll gladly throw another few on the pile.


#41 - 2002 Absolute Memorabilia - Jose Vidro & Vladimir Guerrero

Even though this card scans like Absolute Crap, it’s still not a very nice looking card. I’m not a fan of base insert cards that have ample space set aside for a relic or autograph, that isn’t there.


#40 - 1989 Classic - Pascual Perez

Classic’s colored border reminds me of Kmart interiors.

So very 1989. 


#39 - 1995 Signature Rookie Old Judge - Vladimir Guerrero

In a surprising move at the end of the Junk Wax Era, upstart card maker Signature Rookies, acquired the trademarks for the Old Judge line of tobacco cards. They made their own mini set that was included in packs, next to the guaranteed one failed prospect autograph per pack. The only one I ever wanted was the Vladimir Guerrero. Nearly 30 years later, I finally have one!


#38 - 2023 Allen & Ginter Mini - Vladimir Guerrero

The re-imagined Signature Rookies Old Judge cards weren’t the same size as traditional tobacco cards, unlike the mini's in Topps’ Allen & Ginter line. Maybe Signature Rookies would still be around today if they hadn’t changed to a new size for Old Judge?

Whatever...

For whatever reason, 2023 Stadium Club was delayed from its normal late Summer release, all the way to January 2024. (Waiting for the on-card autographs to be returned?) Always one of my favorite sets of the year, but this year, I had a dilemma…

Since my LCS is no longer open, I debated driving to another one that is further away and nowhere near as cool, to pick up a hobby box of 2023 Stadium Club, within a few days of release. Looking online at what fellow collectors were getting out of their hobby boxes, I abandoned that idea. A hobby box guarantees you 2 autographed cards per box. Most of the posts I read showed highly disappointing autographs coming out of these hobby boxes. Sure, there were a few really nice hits coming out, here and there. But overall, there were far too many 28 year old middle reliever hits for my liking.

After all, what is more important to me when it comes to Stadium Club? Crappy autographs of shaky AAA pitchers who will be in the KBO next season, or a wider variety of attractive base cards? With Stadium Club, I simply want the base cards. As many as I can afford within my Stadium Club budget.


So I took the money money budgeted for a hobby box ($150), and went with six retail Blasters, over the course of several weeks, for roughly the same price. A hobby box has a total of 128 cards. Six retail Blasters have a total of 240 cards. Almost twice as many base cards than I’d get inside the hobby box. Sure, I probably wouldn’t get autographs of Bligh Madris and Wynton Bernard, but I will get an additional 112 or so base cards!

And that’s what I’m after.

So here's the Top 19 Cards Pulled From 2023 Stadium Blasters!


#19 - 2023 Stadium Club - Byron Buxton

Buxton says he'll be back in center field for the Twins, in 2024. If he can, it'll go a long way towards improving our lineup. At least until late April when his knees fall off, after running into the wall at full speed. Nothing has been officially stated, but I believe his knee surgery after the 2022 season was at least somewhat botched. A second surgery after the 2023 season has improved his condition to where he feels he can be our center fielder again.

I sure hope so...


#18 - 2023 Stadium Club - Oscar Gonzalez - Rainbow Foil

Serial numbered out of 25. So that's cool... 

Gonzalez had a decent rookie season in 2022, but 2023 was all sorts of terrible. The New York Yankees claimed him off waivers, but there's really no place for him to play in New York. That's not as cool...


#17 - 2023 Stadium Club - Josh Gibson - Orange

Serial numbered out of 199. So that's not as cool as the Gonzalez Rainbow. However, Josh Gibson was a much better player than Gonzalez. Not that it's a competition... 


#16 - 2023 Stadium Club - Hank Aaron - Triumvarants

The Triumvarants cards are always nice. Usually I get a team and/or players card from these inserts that I don't like at all. Well, I can't stand the Braves, but you can't NOT like Hank Aaron.

It's just too bad he didn't play for the Rockies...


#15 - 2023 Stadium Club - Michael Grove

Certainly do not like the Dodgers, and few very Dodgers card make the list of stuff I like. But I do like this! Mr. Grove is reduced to less than 10% of the photo, which is taken up by one of the more visually interesting areas of Dodger Stadium.


#14 - 2023 Stadium Club - Joey Votto - Blue

Of course I have to pull a semi-rare Joey Votto parallel, and this one is numbered out of 50. With all of the Joey Votto hits I've pulled over the years, how have I not gotten an autographed card of his? I'll give it until 2024 Topps Update comes out. If I don't get one from a pack by them, I better just buy one. 

No, I'll probably buy more Expos cards...


#37 - 2003 Bowman Chrome - Brandon Watson

Watson never got into a game in Montreal, but did appear in a total of 39 Washington Nationals games, between 2005 and 2007. 

He did not do very well...


#36 - 1995 Flair - Kirk Rueter

You could always count on seeing Rueter trying to lick his nose on his cards. He pitched parts of four seasons with the Expos, from 1993-1996, before a trading deadline move to the San Francisco Giants. Where he pitched for another ten seasons. The soft-tossing lefty didn't do anything outstanding, but was a steady innings eater for his entire 14 year major league career.

And he could lick his nose!


#35 - 2004 Topps Chrome - Juan Rivera

Former Yankees top prospect, traded to Montreal after the 2003 season. Rivera didn't last beyond the Expos final season, and was traded to the Angels in November, 2004. He posted decent numbers, including an .829 OPS in 134 games. 

Not enough to save the Expos franchise...

No wonder they traded him.


#34 - 1999 Bowman Chrome - Josh McKinley

Montreal's first round pick (11th overall) in the 1998 MLB Draft. McKinley never made it above Double A, in his 7 seasons of minor league baseball.


#33 - 1971 Topps - Jim Gosger

Gosger arrived in a separate ebay transaction, than the Expos card lot. Laura had bought some more Morneau's, and that seller was offering 2 for 1 bonus cards. Couldn't remember if I had Gosger already, but since there's a Seattle Pilots connection, I opted to take it.


1971 Topps - Rich Reese

That same seller also had a 1971 Topps Rich Reese, that I threw in as well.

I know that I have one already, but this is in better condition.

Not that it looks like it. 

Guy should have charged extra for those sideburns...


#32 - 2001 Bowman Chrome - Brandon Phillips

This card didn't scan nearly as well as #31...


#31 - 2001 Bowman - Brandon Phillips

Yeah... This one's a lot better looking.

Whatever.

I'd been looking at images of 2024 Topps card online for about a week before I first found some in the wild. I wasn't actively looking for it, but hoped there would be some at the Targets, as I ran my Aarons. I found a few jumbo packs, about 6 Blasters and some loose retail packs. No Hangers, but on the bottom shelf there was a Mega Box. 


Right now, I'm looking for a nice representation of what 2024 Topps brings to the table. How is the design on the eyes? Does it have far too many distracting design elements? Are the photos washed out? Are the backs easy or hard to read? How complete are the statistics? Topps has let me down in far too many of these key categories over the last few years. My feelings on Topps from 2019-2023 has ranged from "meh..." to "this is one the worst things they've ever done..." 

I'm looking at you, 2021 Topps...

So what will 2024 be?

The first Topps base card of 2024 I saw in the pack was...


2024 Topps Lars Nootbaar

Well played Topps! 

Goodwill gesture to set the table. Putting a player I collect on top of the first pack I'd open to soften me up as I'd go through the box. Give me a card I would buy as a single, that's a great first impression. It's not a relief pitcher for the Red Sox!

As far as the cards?

I actually like them!

The fade to black border is going to be tough to keep in good condition, but I love that look. What immediately won me over was actually the foil. I'm so very bored with the same old gold and silver foil that is on every card now. Seeing a more subtle use of foil, and having it done in team colors, was an excellent twist on a tired cliché. 

Not going nuts over them, but they are easily the best looking flagship set design since 2018. I will buy more. Which I have not said the last few years.


Just as important, the card backs are nice and simple. With all of the necessary text laid out in a decidedly un-busy design. The card number is large enough to read for sorting, and not blocked by unnecessary geometric and/or baseball shapes. 

Good job on the base card backs!


2024 Topps Miguel Cabrera

Going to miss seeing Miguel Cabrera play this year. Always rooted for him, going back to the 2003 Florida Marlins. Listening to the World Series in my car, writing and chain smoking in Doktor John's driveway, waiting for him to get home. Nice little touch to include a photo of Cabrera at Marlins Park in Miami. Saluting his fans in the city he starred in, from 2003-2007.

Absolute first ballot Hall of Famer. 


2024 Topps Miami Marlins

Speaking of the fish... I have loved seeing the old school 1993 Florida Marlins Skull Crushing Teal throwback uniforms appearing on cards again. I know it was only a one year promotion, tying in with the team's 30th anniversary, but these are SO MUCH better than those awful orange and blue Nike abominations. Can't we call this the City Connect alternate?


2024 Topps Esteury Perez

Incredible action shot, but those oven mitts just look silly.

Super A's Fan Rob, What do you think about sliding Oakland A's baserunners with silly looking oven mitts?


You're right! Those silly looking oven mitts protect their thumbs while sliding!

And what John Fisher is doing to your team seems downright criminal.

Whatever...

So what is the next card in the great ebay Expos card countdown?


#30 - 2000 Finest Features - Vladimir Guerrero

In 2000, Topps decided to pad their Finest base set with insert card sets, included in the complete set numbering, but short printed to be irritating. The back of this card is Barry Bonds, so it will never have more than one Hall of Famer. 


#29 -2002 Topps Chrome - Montreal Expos

Everything around the early 2000 Expos is just sad. Owned by the other 29 MLB teams, they were a combination of spare parts. Yet the team's management (installed by the commissioners office) was doing everything they could to win now. Admirable but futile. There was no point in building for the future, when it was highly likely that Major League Baseball would simply contract the franchise.

In the process, a very talented crop of prospects were dealt in trades to acquire veterans to help win. For the most part, these trades didn't work out for Montreal, and the Expos became a a scrap heap. With Vladimir Guerrero. Who could have been supplemented by the likes of Jason Bay, Milton Bradley, Grady Sizemore, Jake Westbrook, Cliff Lee and Ted Lilly. All of whom went on to have lengthy, productive careers in the big leagues, with several stretches of star level performance. 


#28 - 2001 Upper Deck Minor League - Brandon Phillips

Top prospect and Harrisburg Senator, Brandon Phillips, starred for over a decade in Cleveland and Cincinnati. Phillips was packaged to Cleveland, along with Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore for Bartolo Colon. I was ecstatic when that trade happened, but it was a MASSIVE overpay for the soon-to-be free agent at the end of the year. The Expos were surprise contenders in 2002, and Colon pitched well. But they could never re-sign him.

The White Sox did.

Remember all those home games the Expos played at Yankee Stadium?


#27 - 2004 Bazooka - Nick Johnson

Bang up Photoshop job there Topps! Looks completely natural...

Johnson went on to have a decent career. He produced when healthy, but injuries robbed him of much of his playing days. 

Trivia Time! Before he was traded to the Florida Marlins in July, 2009, Nick Johnson was the last active player with the Washington Nationals, to have bridged the move from Montreal, after the 2004 season.


#26 - 1997 Bowman Chrome - Javier Vazquez

Vazquez became a good -yet inconsistent- pitcher for Montreal, from 1998-2003. During that span, he posted a 64-68 record, on a 4.19 ERA.  After hinting that we wouldn't re-sign with the Expos, he was traded to the New York Yankees. Amongst the players going back was Nick Johnson. And his Photoshopped Expos uniform. 

While the rest of his career didn't achieve the stardom many predicted, he was consistent. Retiring with a career record of 165-160, with a 4.22 ERA, and 2,536 strikeouts. Spending time with the Yankees, D-Bags, White Sox, Braves and Marlins.

Whatever...

Check back in with 2023 Stadium Club, and see what else I really liked from it...


#13 - 2023 Stadium Club - George Brett - Black

How about the super cowboy George Brett, complete with Action Hemorrhoids and Sporting News Player of the Year trophy. A clip from this press conference was used in MLB Network's excellent George Brett documentary, a couple months back. Which made me like George Brett even more than I already did.


#12 - 2023 Stadium Club - Torii Hunter

Torii's trophy is a lot bigger than George's...

Gold Glove Awards themselves, have a bit of unintentional humor built in. Meant to recognize the best fielder at each position, the trophy itself features two baseballs missing the glove by at least 6 inches on either side. Which would clearly go as an error. Hunter didn't make very many of those during his HHH Metrodome days. Cool photo!


#11 - 2023 Stadium Club - Dwight Gooden

Always wanted this card when it first appeared on the bottom of 1985 Donruss wax boxes.

Thanks to Topps for resurrecting it for this year's Stadium Club.


#10 - 2023 Stadium Club - Joe Ryan

One of the things the Twins did right in planning Target Field, was the open area behind right field. This was to accommodate a Twins Plaza, for fans to congregate, buy tickets, look at the statues of Twins legends (and Carl Pohlad) and wait through the ridiculous security lines. But there is a great view of downtown Minneapolis, just beyond the Timberwolves arena.

Joe Ryan is going to have a good season in 2024. I can feel it.

Now in October, after he pitches to a 3-17 record, with a 7.46 ERA, I will also admit I was completely wrong.


#9 - 2023 Stadium Club - Charlie Blackmon

Coming in just a tad better than Ryan's photo, is Blackmon's. I will always be a fan of Charlie Blackmon. He got a photo shot while running in from right, with an imposing (and properly blurry) Coors Field behind him. The Rockies made the right move when they chopped off the rarely open upper deck in right field, and built a series of team licensed bars and restaurants, amongst common areas for fans to NOT watch the game. 

MLB Network was covering highlights of a Rockies D-Bags Spring Training game the other night, and they showed a graphic comparing Charlie Blackmon's MLB press photo from 2011, compared to his newest from 2024. 


How do you not root for the guy on the right?


#8 - 2023 Stadium Club - Ichiro Suzuki - Black

Another great photo! Ichiro facing fellow countryman, Red Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka. Who probably would not have fared well with the pitch clock of today's era. I swear it often seemed like a full minute between his pitches. And every batter was always in a 3-2 count. His games took so long that there's one still going right now. 

Whatever...

More Expos!


#25 - 1998 SPx - Vladimir Guerrero - Radiance

I like the purple foil background. Too bad it scans like crap. Something about 1998 SPx. It's a big bunch of serial numbered cards with multiple colored parallels. Sounds like every set on the market today, but in 1998, this was kind of a groundbreaking set. And I never bought a single pack. Don't have many singles from it either. This is actually my first Expos card from 1998 SPx.


#24 - 2020 Topps 1985 Anniversary - Vladimir Guerrero

Not sure how this one escaped me over the last 3 years.


#23 - 1997 Fleer New Horizon - Vladimir Guerrero

Laura picked this one up in a separate auction.

She said it was because she liked the design and color.

I do too!


#22 - 1996 Bowman’s Best - Vladimir Guerrero

I have a soft spot for 1996 Bowman’s Best, even though I don't really care for the design. This was the first "major" 1996 set to come out after I moved to Denver. I got a box of it for X-Mess 1996, two months after arriving in town. I pulled the Refractor parallel of this card, and was ecstatic. That card was stolen when my apartment was broke into. Back in June, 2000. That day sucked.

Still like to replace that card.


#21 - 2002 Donruss Diamond - Wilson Valdez

One of the few Valdez Expos cards that doesn't list him with the Florida Marlins (over an Expos picture). The Fish claimed him off waivers at the end of Spring Training, 2002. Surprisingly, this was one of the key cards I wanted in that ebay lot I picked up.


#20 - 1994 SP - Brad Fullmer

Fullmer was a promising hitter derailed by injuries. He played his final game in 2004, at the age of 29. The 1994 SP Premier Prospects subset are beautiful cards. The foil etching really makes the player stand out from the background. I ripped so many boxes of 1994 SP back in the day. Last time I checked, I had at least 15 of these Brad Fullmer's in my Expos box. Guess I'll throw it on the pile. 


#19 - 1990 Leaf - Larry Walker

I'll always love 1990 Leaf. Donruss answered 1989 Upper Deck with their own high end set, and I bought a ton of it. Nowhere near as limited as it was implied to be, at the peak of the Junk Wax Era, but it still has a little higher resale value than it's 1990 card competition. I have my complete sets, plus a few copies of the key rookies included in the set. Sammy Sosa, Frank Thomas, John Olerud, the aforementioned Larry Walker, and key rookie of all 1990... Ben McDonald!

Larry Walker's a Hall of Famer! Sammy Sosa can't say that!

Whatever...

How did the 2024 Topps Mega Box shake out in terms of Twins and Rockies? 


Obviously I wasn't going to get full complete team sets, but I hoped to get a decent representation of what was produced. For Series One, the Twins have a fairly large presence, while the Rockies have a very small amount of cards. Which reflects far more on the Rockies smaller fanbase, than it does the Twins popularity.


2024 Topps - Jorge Polanco

Polanco will be making off-balance throws to first, in Seattle this year. Sad to see him go (Polanco had been with the Major League Twins since 2014), but he had become an expensive logjam, for a team looking to -shortsightedly- reduce payroll. His departure clears space for Eduard Julien (and later on, Brooks Lee) without affecting our depth at second. He brought back a #5 starter/long reliever, in Anthony DeSclafani. A relief pitcher (Justin Topa) penciled in for a late inning role. Plus a Top 100 outfield prospect (Gabriel Gonzalez) and a "lottery ticket" pitcher in the low minors, Darren Bowen.

A win for us, even if Polanco has a big year with the Mariners.


2024 Topps - Matt Wallner

Former Little League teammate of a former co-worker of mine. Great photo, although I wish it was horizontal, so you could see a bit more of the outfield. But then it would be a Stadium Club photo, not flagship Topps.

Wallner is another Twins player whose playing time will be indirectly affected by the Jorge Polanco trade.


2024 Topps - Jordan Balazovic

Taken off the 40-man Roster as a result of the Polanco trade, I'm glad that Balazovic got a card in Series One. Out of options, he went unclaimed on waivers when the Twins tried to pass him through. Once our top pitching prospect, his stock has fallen drastically. He made it into 18 games in relief last season, but didn't stand out. Too many baserunners and too few strikeouts. Ironically, as I was writing this up, I'm listening to a Twins Spring Training game, on the radio. Balazovic was brought in to pitch. He threw a scoreless 5th inning, giving up 1 hit and striking out 2. Pitching to the finest A ball prospects in the Boston Red Sox farm system.

And he's Canadian, so that's worth bonus point.

From Minnesota to Canada to Colorado...


2024 Topps - Kris Bryant

The guy the Rockies could afford, when they couldn't afford Nolan Arenado. Despite the contracts being very similar. You have to almost admire the Rockies commitment to sticking with the plan of not having a plan. I loved that team, I loved that stadium, but I never understood how team management and ownership could be so utterly clueless. 

Nothing personal against Bryant. He's projected to play first base this year, and I hope he does well. 


2024 Topps - Brenden Rodgers

Drafted 3rd overall in the 2015 MLB Draft. Of course I predicted superstardom. He's been steady, but unspectacular. Still young, if he's healthy in 2024, I could see him having a breakout season. Just in time to be traded for nothing that helps the team whatsoever.


2024 Topps - Kyle Freeland

With a very low bar set over 30 years, Kyle Freeland has to be considered one of the best pitchers the Rockies have drafted and developed. Chose 8th overall in the 2014 MLB Draft, Freeland has stayed in the Majors ever since. A Denver native, he's signed with the Rockies through the 2027 season. If he can stay healthy, he should become the leader in nearly all of the Colorado Rockies franchise pitching records. 

Keeping on a Colorado theme, before the Targets offered up new helpings of Stadium Club and Topps, they still have a few jumbo packs of 2023 Panini Chronicles. Over the course of a few of them, I pulled this:


2023 Panini Chronicles Origins - Zac Veen - Auto Jersey

Serial numbered 90/99. Great looking unlicensed card of a top Rockies prospect. This is something I would have bought as a single, had I found one at a show or something.

May have been an entry of MLB Trade Rumors, but I can't remember. There was story of Veen having go on the injured list for whatever reason, and someone wrote in comments: "Maybe Zac Veen should have taken his Vac Zeen..."

Tickled me.


A few weeks later, my mom got the same Zac Veen card, from a jumbo pack at the same Targets.

Hers is serial numbered 81/99.

Out of a different jumbo pack of 2023 Panini Chronicles, picked up a few weeks after I got the Veen, I pulled what is my favorite card I've gotten out of the set.


2023 Panini Chronicles Crusade - Andre Dawson - Building Blocks

A Expos Hall of Famer on a beautiful 2023 card, that ISN'T Vladimir Guerrero! Although I read recently that Dawson is petitioning the Hall of Fame to change the cap of his bronze plaque from the Expos to the Cubs. Not cool Mr. Dawson! Bad enough that Vladimir chose the Angels for his plaque, now you want to subtract another rightful Expo from recognition. So not in favor of this. And am very disappointed in The Hawk, for wanting to make this change.

Still love this card though...

Whatever...

Getting back on track with a player who -as far as I know- was proud of his time in Montreal...


#18 - 2002 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity - Tomo Ohka

Isn't that true, Mr. Ohka?

Leaf Rookies and Star was a fun set, with it's parallels of stars with their previous teams. I don't know if there's a Tomo Ohka pre-trade Boston Red Sox variation, but this is the Longevity parallel. Given the foilboard and serial numbering treatment, to make it more specialer.


#17 - 1993 SP - Cliff Floyd

Bought a bunch of 1993 SP Packs back in 1993. Not nearly as many as I did of 1994 SP, but still a lot. Cliff Floyd was one of the champions of my Junk Wax Prospecting. A high 1991 first round pick, who projected to be a powerful slugging first baseman, for the Expos. (On equal ground with David McCarty, also a high 1991 first round pick, projected to be a powerful slugging first baseman, for the Minnesota Twins.) Floyd obviously had a much better career, Floyd did play parts of 17 seasons in the Major Leagues, mostly with the Expos (twice), Marlins, and Mets.


#16 - 2000 Pacific Invincible - Vladimir Guerrero

These were just nice looking cards.


#15 - 2000 Pacific Prism - Vladimir Guerrero

As were these...


#14 - 1992 Bowman - Cliff Floyd

Easily making my top 5 of all 1992 Bowman cards. 

A top draft pick, from my favorite team, dunking a baseball in stylish purple shorts.

What else do you want?

I think this will be my 9th copy of this particular Floyd card. Need to check, but I think it will complete the full album page in the 1992 Expos binder. I'll do that with particular favorite or significant Junk Wax Cards. Like the 1991 Stadium Club Robin Ventura, for example.


#13 - 2004 Bowman Signs of the Future - Chad Cordero - Autograph

Almost assured they were playing their final seasons in Montreal, the Expos used their first round pick in the 2003 MLB Draft on a college closer. One that was close to the Major Leagues, and would be promoted to Montreal, within 2 months after signing. Cordero dominated as a closer for the Expos and Nationals, until he tore his labrum in April of 2008. He wasn't able to come back from the injury, despite trying for several years.

That's depressing.

Lets look at some 2024 Topps inserts from the Mega Box!


2024 Topps - Colton Cowser - Rainbow Foil

The Rainbow Foil parallels look really nice this year. Cowser is a decent prospect too...


2024 Topps - Juan Soto - Stars of MLB

Cast against the Refractor-splosion is about the only way these Nike Padres abominations, almost look good?

Appropriate may be the better word here...


2024 Topps - Bo Jackson - 1989 Foilboard

One of the Junk Wax Era kings, on an also appropriate 1989 tribute, and foilboard parallel. 

And it's ALWAYS going to bother me that the player's names are left-justified, instead of centered in the team banner. Like they were on 1989 Topps cards.


2024 Topps - Shohei Ohtani - 1989 Foilboard

Cool, one of the last attractive Ohtani Angels inserts, before we're flooded with Dodgers cards.

I really like this one.


Topps is warning me to look out for MEGA STARS. They're exclusive apparently. Guess I wont be looking for them in all of the Panini Soccer Blasters, that no one is buying! 

When the only thing I was really looking for was the second line up from the bottom: "224 total cards". Just a good representation of the set. That's what I wanted, and where my bar was set. Anything above that was a bonus. From seeing everything seen online, I knew what the product was offering. From big hits pulled by breakers (likely going through hundreds of boxes in the process) to widespread disappointment in hitless Blasters to napkin relics and 28 year relief pitch autographs from hobby boxes.

Just give me some decent base and I'm happy with this product.

Because I'm probably not buying a whole lot of it.


2024 Topps Mega Stars - Paul Goldschmidt - Green

Serial Numbered 10/99. This was a nice bonus. I like serial numbered parallels of stars. He has a home with the other Cardinals in Top Loaders. Too bad Goldschmidt wasn't an Expo...

Not like this guy!


#12 - 2004 Donruss Studio Game Day Jersey - Livan Hernandez

In fact Livan Hernandez is one of only 5 players to appear in games for the Montreal Expos, Minnesota Twins and Colorado Rockies. Kind of an ugly design for this card. Not one of Donruss's better efforts in the early-aughts.


#11 - 2000 Bowman’s Best - Andy Tracy

In the late 1990's, Bowman's Best started serial numbering their Rookie Card subset. They also cast those cards on a very attractive blue Refractory background. 


#10 - 2000 Bowman’s Best - Matt Cepicky

The Expos didn't have any potential stars in that set, but I love that I was able to find 2 commons.

These are very nice looking cards.


#9 - 1999 Pacific Prism - Vladimir Guerrero

Laura liked the way this card looked, when she saw it on ebay, but didn't know if I had it. She bought it anyway. I didn't have it and I really like the look of it!


#8 - 2003 Donruss Champions - Terrmel Sledge - Autograph

My second Terrmel Sledge autograph. The first coming from one of the few packs of 2003 Absolute Baseball, I bought back in 2003! Which made me a Terrmel Sledge fan, beyond the fact that name is really cool. He had a promising 2004 rookie season with Montreal, posting an OPS of .799, with 15 home runs in 133 games. But that came at his age 27 season, and he never got a another real shot, after that. He did appear in games with the Nationals and Padres, through the 2007 season.


#7 - 2004 Wizards of the Coast - MLB Showdown - Carl Everett

Something I should look for is more Expos, Twins and Rockies in these old MLB Showdown game sets. This is such an odd photo for a card, but it accurately depicts the action it represents. 


#6 - 2004 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror White - Carl Everett

One of the many spare parts that made up the sad 2004 Montreal Expos...  Everett had a very good 2003 season, split between the Rangers and White Sox. He signed a rather small $3 million contract to replace Vladimir Guerrero in right field for Montreal. The playing time was there for him to succeed, but he wasn't very good either. Batting only .252 / .319 / .378, with 2 home runs over 39 games, before the Expos traded him back to the White Sox.

He also doesn't believe in dinosaurs!

Whatever...

2023 Stadium Club Top 7!


#7 - 2023 Stadium Club - Jackie Robinson

You cannot deny the greatness of this card.


#6 - 2023 Stadium Club - Cal Ripken Jr.

Newer car, greater moment...


#5 - 2023 Stadium Club - Babe Ruth

Most likely the best car on a card in 2023 Stadium Club. But I cannot say that for sure.

Only from what the 6 Blasters have shown me.


#4 - 2023 Stadium Club - Larry Walker

Oh yeah... The 1999 MLB Turn FORWARD the Clock games... Almost as bad as those green Nike things. You can tell Walker has absolutely blasted a pitch into the right field stands, here. I'm glad I got to see most of Walker's peak years up close, he was an unbelievable hitter. Had he started his career with the Dodgers and sign as a free agent with the Yankees, he'd have been a much bigger name. Most of his career coming with the Rockies and Expos, no one really knew who he was. 


#3 - 2023 Stadium Club - Vladimir Guerrero

Topps makes me so happy when they pull out a sweet Expos photo I've never seen before. Almost positive this picture was taken at Hiram Bithorn Stadium, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Bud Selig had the Expos play 22 "home" games there in 2003, with even more again in 2004. MLB was looking into the possibility and feasibility of moving the Expos to San Juan. Pretty sure their hearts were set on Washington DC, regardless.

The MLB run Expos front office did try to offer free agent Vladimir Guerrero a contract after the 2003 season, thinking the superstar would be a good selling point to future cities bidding for the team. But Guerrero wanted to know where his future would be, and signed a 5 year contract with the Angels, for the 2004 season.

We all saw what Carl Everett did as his replacement...


#2 - 2023 Stadium Club - Stan Musial

I didn't know until I pulled it from a pack, just how much I needed a card of Stan Musial playing pool.

But the #1 card pulled from the six 2023 Stadium Club Blasters, was what I specifically thought I wasn't going to get from retail...


#1 - 2023 Stadium Club - Don Mattingly - Auto

If anyone, I was expecting Ken Waldichuk...

One of my favorite players from my earliest days of collecting. I bought a 2022 Topps Chrome Black encased Mattingly autograph, last year, knowing that my collection needed one. But pulling one from a pack really makes a 12 year old Captain Honkass happy!

If you were to compare the 6 Blasters to the Hobby Box I didn't buy, the Blasters absolutely won. In addition to the card highlighted above, I got a Ryan Kreidler Members Only parallel, a Mike Trout Sepia, and Chrome parallels of Mark McGwire, Bo Bichette and another Don Mattingly. Only the one autograph, but I'd always take this haul than an average Hobby box I saw opened online.

Today, the former Dodgers and Marlins manager is the offensive coordinator for the Toronto Blue Jays. MLB posted a photo of Don Mattingly's new look, on their website. 


Didn't see Santa Mattingly coming...

And all he wants for Ex-Mess, is the remaining Top 5 ebay Expos cards!


#5 - 1996 Topps Chrome Refractor - Moises Alou

Already had the base 1996 Topps Chrome Moises Alou. Significant as it was the first that Topps put out Chrome as a stand alone set. No autographs, the hits were simple Refractors. And Refractors of Inserts. Quickest of ebay scans show these Refractors have some value. Hall of Famers sell for around $100, and minor stars can fetch $10 easily. More 1996 Topps Chrome Expos Refractors please!


#4 - 2002 Bowman Chrome - Vladimir Guerrero - (1995) Reprint Refractor

Not exactly the same thing, but his first Bowman card from 1995 was cool enough. But that set pre-dated Bowman Chrome. So I definitely like having a Chrome Refractor version of it.  


#3 - 1996 Leaf Signature Series - Darrin Fletcher

Fletcher was another Junk Wax Era prospect that I collected. He was a top catching prospect, coming up with the Dodgers and Phillies in the late 1980's. Needing bullpen help, Philadelphia traded him to Montreal in December, 1991. He  became a solid every day catcher for the Expos in 1992, studying under future Hall of Famer, Gary Carter, who was finishing his career with the team that drafted him. Fletcher stayed in Montreal through the 1997 season, when signed a free agent contract with the Toronto Blue Jays, where he stayed until retiring, after the 2002 season. Must have liked Canada.

We're staying in Junk Wax Era for both numbers 2 and 1.


1989 Upper Deck - Todd Zeile

This was a big card for a few months at the end of 1989...

Just as Fletcher was a top catching prospect for the Dodgers in 1989, Todd Zeile was a top catching prospect for the St. Louis Cardinals, at the same time. But he wouldn't stay at the position. Then-Cardinals manager, Joe Torre wanted to play Tom Pagnozzi at catcher, instead of Zeile. His thinking was that Zeile had a better bat, and would be a more valuable piece to the team at first or third base. And he was a steady, if unspectacular, productive infielder throughout the 1990's.

Back in the early 1990's, watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN, was appointment television. The nightly highlight/news show was my best source for current baseball stories. Then USA Baseball Weekly would cover stuff that didn't make ESPN or the local newspapers. Seems so archaic compared to what we have today. But for then, it was pretty much all you had.

It's unbearable now, but even 30 years ago, ESPN got irritating quickly. As soon as everyone on camera decided they needed to project even bigger personalities than the stories they were covering, I had to quit watching. One of the pioneers of obnoxiousity was Chris Berman, with his gimmick of using bad puns and nicknames for EVERYONE that appeared on highlights.

One night, when I was half paying attention, I heard him describe a throw across the diamond by Todd "Good Housekeeping" Zeile. For some reason that one struck me and I laughed. Then I felt guilty for indulging Berman by chuckling at a REALLY lame joke.

Through the 1990's and into the 2000's, Zeile played for the Cardinals, Cubs, Phillies, Orioles, Dodgers, Marlins, Rangers and Mets, before a very complicated three team trade on January 21, 2002. Zeile was traded by the New York Mets with Benny Agbayani and cash to the Colorado Rockies. The New York Mets sent Lenny Harris and Glendon Rusch to the Milwaukee Brewers. The Colorado Rockies sent Ross Gload and Craig House to the New York Mets. The Colorado Rockies sent Alex Ochoa to the Milwaukee Brewers. The Milwaukee Brewers sent Jeromy Burnitz, Lou Collier, Jeff D'Amico, Mark Sweeney and cash to the New York Mets.


2003 Topps Chrome Todd Zeile - Refractor

With the Rockies, he moved back to third base for the season, and led all National League third basemen in errors, with 21. Which also gave Zeile the lowest fielding percentage in the league, at.942. He wasn't bad on the offensive side of the game. Batting .273 / .353 / .425, with 18 home runs and 87 RBI, in 144 games.

But on Saturday, September 14, 2002, he got to play a new role. The Dodgers were destroying us 16-3. So the Rockies brought in third baseman, Todd Zeile, to pitch the 9th inning. Have gave up a single to Cesar Izturis, but struck out ex-Expo, Wilkin Ruan, to end the inning.

A Free Agent after the 2002 season, he signed a one year contract with the New York Yankees, on December 19, 2002. Zeile didn't play well and was not a fan of how the Yankees were run. He managed to hit only .210 / .294 / .349,  6 HR, 30 RBI, in 66 games, before getting released by the team on August 18, 2003. 


#2 - 2003 Fleer Tradition Update - Todd Zeile

Then he signed with the Montreal Expos, on August 20, 2003!

Zeile finished the 2003 season with Montreal. He appeared at 34 games, all at third base, and put up a .257 / .331 / .442 line, with 5 home runs and 19 RBI's in 127 plate appearances.


His record of hitting the most home runs with Z, has since been topped by Ryan Zimmerman of the Washington Nationals. 

I didn't know about this card until Laura found it and ordered it for me. 

As far as the Number 1 ebay Expos card goes, it's more of the same. Although I did know about this one...

I'm not sure what caused the name Todd Zeile to pop into my head. A few weeks back, I decided to make sure he didn't have any Expos cards. I knew he didn't have one in either Topps of Upper Deck's 2004 Expos team sets, but maybe there was something I'd missed.

Somehow this has escaped me...


#1 - 2004 Fleer Tradition - Todd Zeile

Later that night Laura was ebaying and asked again if there were any Expos cards that I wanted. Suddenly there was a positive answer to that question. I found the sale and forwarded it to her. A few days later, I had it to headline this story.

However, some minor confusion erupted when she has confused the 2003 Fleer Update as the one I wanted. Which I didn't know existed at the time. I found the listing to the card she described and yeah, I had no idea of this 2003 Fleer Update card. After seeing the 2004 Fleer Tradition listing, I went no further. Yet in the span of a few days, I went from thinking that Todd Ziele had no cards showing him with the Expos, to owning 2 different Fleer cards of just that!


After his 34 game stint in Montreal, he played his final season with the New York Mets. Zeile even got into 2 games at catcher at the end of the 2004 season. The first time he caught in a game since 1990.

Trivia Time: On October 3, 2004, Zeile became one of 53 players (as of 2024) ever to hit a home run in his final Major League at bat. That home run, off Claudio Vargas and the Montreal Expos, was also the last home run hit off a Montreal Expos pitcher. The Expos fled the country and became the Washington Nationals in 2005.

Today, Todd Zeile works as the main pregame and postgame analyst for the New York Mets, on their RSN.

Whatever...

As an added surprise bonus, Laura found this on ebay and bought it for me!


My unknown Expos card in un-certified autographed parallel form!


These guys say it's legit. I have no reason to question it.

To my surprise, Laura later found an ebay auction for the 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Todd Zeile, in un-certified autographed parallel form! She also bought that for me, so I'd have both! It had not yet arrived in the mail by the time this story went live, But I'm supa-jazzed to have completed the unofficial Todd Zeile Fleer Expos rainbow!

That was a whole lot of collecting happiness, without a great personal expense.

Losing your LCS will bum you out. 

Overpriced and underdelivering product adds fuel to that burn out.

Adding all these new awesome old Expos cards, was a big time pick me up!

I'll finally concede and start looking at more singles from ebay. It's the smartest way to buy cards. And I'd like to start filling in the gaps in those Twins, Expos and Rockies binders.

Was also nice to have 2024 open up with some very strong new card releases. Stadium Club is always great, but I was mildly shocked by how much I didn't hate 2024 Topps.

2024 will likely see more evolving of how I collect, which isn't a bad thing. But I do miss those every other Saturday morning trips to Pal's Sports Cards.

Time to help Laura sort her Justin Morneau card collection. Which has grown from about 5 cards in early December, to this impressive mess today...


Might have to make her write a Whatever about this sort of thing...

Base goes in a brand new album she plans on decorating. Autographs, relics and serial numbered cards go in Top Loaders and One Touches. Duplicates go in penny sleeves. Just as I store my collection. Hers a small fraction...

But she does have WAY more Morneau's than I do.

She also has spent more on cards in 2024 than I have.

NEVER would have seen that coming...


As the newly arrived Morneau Bobbleheads nod in agreement.


Comments

Someone else liked these...

Abandoned Movie - Kitty's South (The Webber Theater) - Denver, CO

Our Happy Birfday Fan Zone Fun Time Whatever - St. Cloud MN

What Happened to Clark's Submarine Sandwich?

Dinner Break! - Burger King - St. Cloud, MN

Abandoned Mall: Villa Italia Mall - Lakewood, CO

Abandoned Retail - Brookdale Mall, Sears & Perkins!

Ghosts of Riverdale Past - Coon Rapids, MN

Abandoned WalMarts over Apache Plaza

Abandoned Retail - Target - Coon Rapids, MN

Abandoned Auto - Saxon Motors - Elk River, MN