Happy May!!!

Just not a happy Trevor May... Because he's still rehabbing from Tommy John Surgery..


Quick warning in advance, this blog post is going to be an unfocused, all over the place mess. I've got a bunch of mini-projects kicking around in my head, but no time to fully expand on them properly. And as boiling pot needs to vent, I've got to skim off the tops of some of these stories now.

They're in danger of getting lost in the shuffle.


I am so far behind on keeping up the journal...

These days when I write in my notebook, It's generally to write out rough drafts and ideas that come from the pictures I've been taking around town. And notes on baseball if I feel like documenting something in between ramblings about abandoned building pictures recently taken...


The recent demolition of the Columbine Square Shopping Center is high on that list... 

This used to be the bar known as The Break Room. The checkered tile by the open square of gravel, used to be the dart throwing area. The checkered tile behind that was the bar area. The rest was lined with pool tables. Some 15-20 years ago, I drank a lot of beer and played a bunch of pool here with fellow Pizza Hut drivers.


Packing up the Luxury Apartment in the Sky, in preparation to move to Minnesota, is a slow going process... There's a lot going on in every area of life these days, and it's kind of hard to stop and take it all in, as you're busy trying to keep going. So far, I've got a bunch of boxes packed and ready to go. But it's not nearly enough as this place is still jammed full of stuff that needs to be dealt with. We are understandably very far behind now, having to cope with Laura breaking both of her legs as we are trying to get ready to move out of state.

Yesterday morning at 11am (MST), I was able to watch the Twins play the Blue Jays, via the Internets... My plan was to watch this game, then flip over to the Rockies play the Cubs on TV. Alternating my attention between the two. I've become fairly adept at watching two games at once. As I was watching those games, I would start writing and putting this blog post together. But all the distractions and baseball made this take a bit longer than I'd expected.


And I wouldn't be watching this guy... He's still injured again...

The Twins game was extra important to me as it was the Major League Debut of Fernando Romero. Minnesota's #2 Prospect (behind only the first pick in the 2017 draft, SS Royce Lewis), a 23 year old, right handed pitcher coming up from AAA, Rochester, New York.


I picked up Romero's 2017 Bowman Chrome Parquet Flooringfractor at Mike's Stadium Sports Cards a couple of months ago. I've watched his ascent with the Twins organization for a few years now, but this would be the first time I could actually watch him pitch.

The scouting report on Romero says that he pitches comfortably in the mid-90's -his fastest pitch of today was clocked at 98.6 MPH- with a devastating slider to match.

Against the Blue Jays, he produced a stellar line of: 5.2IP, 4H, 0R, 3BB, 5K, and was the winning pitcher, making his record a perfect 1-0 in the major leagues. Add Romero to your collections, he's going to be good!

******

The other night, it was getting late and we still hadn't had dinner. Instead of putting in effort to cook something, Laura asked if I just wanted to have a pizza delivered. It was getting close to 11pm, and that worked fine by me...

Oh, and it was Tuesday... You know who has a good deal on large pizzas tonight?


Frank the Pizza King!

The greatest pizza I've ever had, and the one food item I'm going to miss the most once I leave Colorado. Sure, it's more expensive than your standard pizza delivery chains, but if there's one thing those three years of working Pizza Hut delivery taught me...


PAY FOR QUALITY!!!


Their sausage is homemade, and works so well with pepperoni and extra cheese... I used to get this specific pizza with onions as well, but that would usually tear me apart within 4 hours of eating. Skipping the onions solves that problem, and the pizza still rules. When it showed up, we watched some Comedy Central (Jim Jefferies, Trevor Noah and Jordan Klepper) before calling at a night just before 2am... And we had leftovers for dinner the next night!

******

Minnesota beat Toronto 4-0 yesterday. After Romero pitched impressively, Paul Molitor removed him from the game with 2 outs in the top of the 6th. He'd thrown 97 pitches, and that was enough I guess. The law firm of Hildenberger, Duke, Reed and Rodney finished the shutout for the Twins.

Three of those four were not with the Twins last year. Which was a key reason for optimism this year...

Another key for optimism was supposed to be the Twins' offense. Which hasn't been nearly the bright spot it was last year... But it hasn't been terrible either...


Eddie Rosario went 2-4 in the game, and hit a home run for the 2nd consecutive day.

Joe Mauer also went 2-4 in the game. Not a shock here, but he didn't hit a home run, because he doesn't like to do that. However, he did actually hit his first home run of the season last night. You big slugger you! 


This card is a promo from Upper Deck's 2009 O Pee Chee release. I so prefer that picture to the mug shot that appeared in the final set. This picture makes you wonder where his career would have ranked if Mauer would have been able to play more of his career as a catcher. Then you hear the potential Hall of Fame debate in the media, when the subject of Mauer comes up. While there's a faint argument, the consensus is that he just didn't hit well enough overall, or have enough seasons as the league's top catcher.

But he'll always have that $187 million...

Most importantly for the Twins, that contract is off the books after this season. I do expect him back in 2019 with Minnesota. I'd even be okay with a contract of something like 2 years at $20 million.

Total. 

Not apiece. 

Those years are far beyond Mauer of today...


After starting the season on fire, Brian Dozier has been slumping bad recently. He went 0-4 today, and is batting only .236 on the season. It's possible he re-signs with the Twins after the season, but I'm not sure that it's the best idea for either side, for multiple reasons.


Over the last week, Justin Morneau made his debut on color commentary during Twins telecasts. I liked what Morneau brings to the booth. During the game, he offers more of a current player's insight into what went into the plays he's describing. All good color guys do this, but some tend to get a bit too full of themselves and put their act above the game they are supposed to be calling. I like that the former 2006 American League MVP seems more interested in telling you about what is going on with the game, than how great it was that time he won the MVP award...

******

Last week while I was out taking pictures, I found that part of the Fire House Car Wash had seemingly just fallen over.


Not long ago, I was up here taking pictures of the murals that covered every surface of the former car wash building. I was so excited by the pictures I took, they were turned into this story a few days later.

Usually when a structure is being demolished, the crews leave equipment, like shovels or bulldozer or dump trucks around.

In the case of here and then, nope... 

In the case of here and a week later, the bricks were cleaned up, 
but the other half of the building was still at it was here... 

******

Yesterday, I watched the Twins win 4-0 in a rather compelling, well played game. But that win only brought their record to 10-16. And that's all sorts of not good... So far, 2018 has started off as a mixed bag at best for Minnesota.


Byron Buxton has battled migraines and now has a broken toe. As I was hoping to see his career advance to the point where his offensive value starts to catch up to his defensive mastery, he now has an injury that will slow him considerably in the short term. And that's once he gets back on the field.


Slugging third baseman Miguel Sano is also out with injuries. He managed to open the season with the Twins, escaping a pending suspension over an alleged sexual harassment issue. But he could not escape the disabled list. Or strikeouts. He can't seem to avoid those either.

Minnesota's pitching has been a little better so far this year. Though walks for some pitchers have been way too high early in the season. So they either went ready due to either injury or a short training camp for signing late... Not to name any names... AhhchooPhilHughesLanceLynn...


This guy has been awesome. (Mostly...)


(Hey Topps! Look what I did! Can I have a job?)

This guy has been about what I expected when Minnesota picked him up from the Rays in a trade, early in Spring Training. Not lights out, but he's been just what the Twins rotation sorely needed last year...


And shockingly, this guy hasn't been terrible!

The problem is consistency. To make a convenient excuse, you could blame the weather. All the rain/snow outs, and games that were played, but probably shouldn't have been...

While it's not too late to turn it around, it is quickly getting too late for Minnesota in 2018.

******

All the way out east Colfax Avenue, in Aurora, is the Anschutz Medical Campus at the University of Colorado. Laura occasionally needs to come out here for doctor appointments, and for me, there's some cool stuff to see in the area...


Like this long abandoned Safeway grocery store! 

How do I know this was a Safeway? 

The two circles on each side of the building front! 

Those circles were there for the old Safeway "S" logo, which was painted on top. They would light up when it was a Safeway, but I'm sure they haven't been lit on this building in decades. While I've long admired this building, the high visibility of this location, plus the fences I'd have to cross, make those so tempting and inviting uncovered window shots, just not going to happen.

Damat...

******

Meanwhile, yesterday on the TV, the Rockies were in Chicago, playing the Cubs at Wrigley. Starting for the Rockies was lefty Tyler Anderson, against Yu Darvish of the Cubs. After dragging a courtship with multiple teams (including the Twins) out until February, Darvish signed with the Cubs for something like $130 million over 6 years.


Hey Topps! I'm getting better at this!

Ultimately, Minnesota went in a different direction. Using what would have been set aside as an annual salary for Darvish, then spreading it out for multiple players, covering many needs. But with the added caveat that this was all done with 1 and 2 year deals. Much smarter baseball these days...

Needless to say, I was rooting strongly for the Rockies today. 

But I didn't really need to... 

Colorado drubbed the Cubs 11-2. Pounding Darvish to a line of: 4.1IP, 7H, 6R, 3BB, 8K. Well, he did have 8 strikeouts... On the season, Darvish is now 0-3, with a 6.00 ERA in 6 starts for the Cubs. He does have 37 strikeouts in 30 innings... But he does not have a win against the Rockies today...


Conversely, Tyler Anderson was excellent: 7IP, 3H, 2R, 1BB, 9K on the day. Moving his record to 2-0, with a 3.78 ERA, in 7 starts. Anderson has 37 strikeouts in 33 innings, but is a hell of a lot cheaper than Darvish...

******

Another huge project that still needs to be tackled is getting the collectable toys packed up securely for the move to Minnesota. Using a combination of bubble wrap, wadded up paper and misfitting socks, I have to keep the entire works secure for not only the voyage home, but an indeterminate period of lock-up after the move.


And yes, I was one of those lucky, lucky kids who actually owns Log! (from Blammo!)

I photographed my entire toy collection extensively in May 2013, so the story I'm working on about that toy collection will come together quickly. Just as soon as I start writing it...

So look for that!

******

Offensively for the Rockies, you couldn't get much better than third baseman Nolan Arenado. Especially in routig the Cubs 11-2 on Wednesday...


On the day, Arenado went 3-6, with 2 home runs and 5 RBI. He made a rare error in the field, which you just don't see. But they happen so rarely, and when they come with this kind of offense, you just look the other way. Arenado is only under team control with Colorado through 2019, and I really hope he stays here.

But I'm leaving here, so I guess we all have to do what we have to do....


Charlie Blackmon however, will be staying in Colorado for years to come, after signing the 6 year contract extension right after the season started. He went 1 for 4 with two walks in today's game. He already has 10 home runs for the season.


Shortstop Trevor Story seems to be rebounding after a disappointing 2017. His day against the Cubs went 2 for 5, with a home run, and 2 strikeouts. He seems to have two strikeouts in every game... But he plays a good shortstop, and has well above average power for the position.

But offense has never been a problem for the Rockies. Throughout the 25 year history of the Colorado Rockies, you could never look at this team and say they couldn't hit. They always have...

They can't pitch, they never have and that's the whole problem. Has been since 1993... 


Top draft picks like Jon Gray have helped. Gray has pitched well for the last couple of seasons. Not yet taking the next step to being the true ace pitcher the Rockies have always needed. Gray had 16 strikeouts in a game a year or so ago, so the talent is there for Gray to lead Rockies pitchers to the next level. As today showed, Tyler Anderson is also taking a step forward.


Now it's up to guys like this...


To take that next step...

******

And I do know that I really need to finish 99 Spillihp part 2 for the Blog. 


When I posted the first half, I tossed a link into a facebook group for my hometown (where 99 Spillihp was located).


Less than 9 hours later, that story hit 1000 views. Once the dust had settled, that story has done more than double the views of the second most viewed story on Four Baggers! Now, I've obviously put up something that went over big... So do I follow that up with more of what people want?

Nope... I move on to other things and disappoint my audience!

So, I should probably get that sequel finished...

******

The Twins played the Blue Jays yesterday, which led me to check in on Vladimir Guerrero Jr., to see how he's doing in AA New Hampshire.


Well, through his first 21 games, he has an 1.055 OPS, with 12 walks and 10 strikeouts.

So I guess it's safe to say he's doing well...


In honor of his son, I had to bust this bad boy out...

Even though it's slightly off center, what a great card...

******

While out driving last Sunday, I came across a junk yard that had just taken in a delivery of fresh car accident inventory. Once my eyes caught this, I had to snap a few pictures...


Less than ten minutes later, when I drove back the same way, a forklift had already moved two of the cars away, and was working on the van with the top popped off.

Timing is everything!

******


2017 may be second baseman D.J. LeMahieu's last season in Colorado. A free agent after the 2018 season, LeMahieu is likely to be in a different city for Opening Day 2019. Since being acquired in a 2012 trade with the Chicago Cubs (for a failed #1 draft pick, turned bad relief pitcher), I've watched LeMahieu develop from a no hit, good fielding second baseman to a perennial top hitting, Gold Glove winning second baseman.

That's something every team needs, but gets expensive around free agency. And I could easily see the Rockies going in a different direction, saving likely $15 million/year...


Most likely in the form of this guy... The 21 year old shortstop, who was Colorado's 1st round pick in the 2015 Draft (3rd overall), is holding his own with the AA Hartford (Connecticut) Yard Goats. Batting .272/4/16 through 92 plate appearance. Unknown weather Rodgers would slide over to second, or take shortstop, with Trevor Story moving over, in my fictional scenario.

We'll see how that develops next offseason.

Well, I wont see it. I'll be in Minnesota, following from a great distance. 


In other Rockies top prospect news, rookie infielder Ryan McMahon was recently sent down to the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes. He didn't get a whole lot of playing time this year, and was sent down to play every day. He's billed as a great hitter, once he develops, but I've haven't seen enough from him to have much faith.

******

A couple of weeks ago, I drove by the old K-Mart at Alameda and Broadway, and saw that it was fenced off from the rest of the shopping center. This K-Mart, near downtown Denver, closed about a year ago. When it was open, I'd stopped in here a few times on my way to somewhere else. Distinctly remember buying sunscreen before going to a Rockies game at this K-Mart, at least 15 years ago.


This last weekend, I drove by to see that more than half of the K-Mart has been reduced to rubble. Makes me wonder if this fifth of the Alameda Shopping Center is being sacrificed for Luxury Apartments?

Because that's what this town REALLY needs...

******

Both Laura and I are clear that before we leave this state, we need to get to our final Rockies game... 


Since the first game I ever saw at Coors Field, it has been my favorite ballpark. Of course, most of the ballparks that I've seen games at in person are long since demolished, I know little of the newest (post 1995) stadium wave.

But I doubt many of those stadiums brandish signs like this one that you can find at Coors Field...


As of this writing, it has been 258 days since I last had a cigarette. (And believe me, I miss the shit out of them...) So I wont be needing the Coors Field upper deck smoking area this next visit. Smoking in the lower deck was outlawed years ago, but you could smoke all you wanted, upstairs by the clock tower.

Which is not to say that I wont still go there... 

After all, you have to walk right by the smoking area and clock tower, in order to find the Grillworks stand, to buy your official Rockie Dog.


The Rockie Dog is a footlong Hebrew National hot dog, grilled at each of the stadium vendor booths. You can have your Rockie Dog with a multitude of toppings, but I choose to keep it simple, ketchup and raw onions added for me. You can do no wrong with these!

Though early word is that Hebrew National wieners are out at Coors this year. Replaced by Nathan's Famous.

If that's true, I'm disappointed in your anti-semitism Rockies...


Oh yeah, another thing about the Coors Field smoking area, as the sun sets, you can get some incredible pictures (even if they are blurry) of the city blocking the mountains. In ways it never did 20 years ago...


And night time shots of downtown Denver from under that clock are always great!

******

Last weekend, I got up early and drove to a part of town I've never been to. The very run down and desolate area north of Denver, bordering Commerce City. I've never seen it, but I knew it was going to be interesting. As I drove through downtown on my way up there, I noticed just how much of the old was being replaced with new. It was really disappointing to see that town being wiped clean and rebuilt different.

You've got to make everything shiny and new, because new people with money are coming to town...

Here's just a few of the things I saw and wanted to write about.


I'd love to know the story of this place... What looks like simple block homes, are actually arranged in a large X shape, with alleys intersecting, throughout the block. Every one of the residences are  boarded up and sealed shut, with no sign of human life around...


I had to circle around the block to snap this picture over a fence. It was so worth it...


According to Google, the last business to operate here was some sort of forklift dealer. That was already a few years back in Google Maps terms. I have no idea when Arkansas Valley Seeds was open. But the building was a nice find. And likely endangered. The next three blocks behind it are all vacant lots with large building holes filled into cracked parking lots.

Also, I've never driven on Vasquez Blvd in Commerce City before. The whole area is industrial, and rather bleak, beyond that, I've never had a reason to drive up here. Retail is trying to wedge it's way in, but it's patchy at best. Most of this area is dry dusty land, railroad tracks and buildings that look abandoned, but actually aren't.

And then there was Deno's 6 & 85...


When I saw Deno's come up on the horizon, I knew that I had to check this place out. I eventually had to drive by it three times, before I could figure out how to get anywhere near it. Located next to a Conoco/Phillips gas refinery, the only access road to Deno's has been blocked off. However, my car fit around that little problem. Going up the hill, the pavement was cracked to the point of non-existence in many places, though it was fairly complete in front of this awesome abandoned diner.

There is a website still up for this restaurant (denos6and85.com), that has a full menu and a few other historical nuggets.

Sadly, there are no entertainment events coming up at Deno's for the near future...

According to their website, Deno's bills itself as "The Oldest Truck Stop in Colorado", opening in 1947. They also billed their restaurant as having ample truck and RV parking, available for overnight stays.

The last Yelp review for Deno's was May 23, 2017. 

July 2017 is the last customer uploaded interior shot on Google. 

According to a story on Curbside Classic, Deno's 6 & 85 closed for good in September, 2017.

A chain link fence has been placed around the property, and with the high visibility in the area, 
I didn't want to hop a fence for window shots. 

Sure, I say I didn't want to... But I REALLY wanted to...

******

On my last photo tour of Denver for April 2018, I saw that ground has finally been broken on new construction at the former main Gates Rubber Plant.


After demolition was completed at the site -nearly four years ago- it has just been sitting empty while the city of Denver decided what exactly to do with it. Located at one of the main light rail train hubs, everyone knows this chunk of land will eventually be overrun with Luxury Apartments. But what else will be built here?

According to the redevelopment plan approved by the city in October 2017, the new "Broadway Station" will include nearly 2,600 apartments, 848,000 square feet of offices, 54,000 square feet of "co-workingspace" and a "smattering of retail and civic spaces". The area has been re-zoned to allow for the project. Including building heights ranging from 5 to 16 stories.

I will be leaving Denver in less than a month, so I wont see what they end up putting on this giant chunk of vacant land. Soon enough, my all time favorite abandoned building will join the rest of the blocks around it, and it will all look like this...


Sadly, I wont be here to see it built...

Even more sadly... 

I wont be here in 100 years when these luxury apartments are abandoned, crumbling and decaying...

******

As I was getting ready to put this story online, news broke that Ichiro Suzuki was removed from the Seattle Mariners 40 Man Roster, and was transitioning into a role with the Mariners front office, as a Special Assistant to the Chairman. 


I've been a huge fan since his debut in 2001. I've seen him play in person a few times. I don't have time to properly summarize Ichiro right now... 

So congrats on a great career, a certain future Hall of Famer, and a guy who brought a style of play to Major League Baseball that had never been seen before on this continent.

And I have to go pack up the hall closet...

Comments

Someone else liked these...

Abandoned Movie - Kitty's South (The Webber Theater) - Denver, CO

Our Happy Birfday Fan Zone Fun Time Whatever - St. Cloud MN

What Happened to Clark's Submarine Sandwich?

Dinner Break! - Burger King - St. Cloud, MN

Abandoned Mall: Villa Italia Mall - Lakewood, CO

Abandoned Retail - Brookdale Mall, Sears & Perkins!

The Hawley Grain Elevator Fire - Hawley, MN

Dinner Break! - Burger Time - Coon Rapids, MN

Abandoned Auto - Saxon Motors - Elk River, MN

Ghosts of Riverdale Past - Coon Rapids, MN