2018 Bowman Disappointment -er Draft


Bowman Draft once played a big role in my collection. Between 2005-2010, I anticipated Bowman Draft every year, and typically spent a good amount of money on the product. In recent years, the set became a Hobby Shop exclusive, and I lost interest. Especially since the marketing of the set had brought it to an almost "lottery ticket" product.

Over the years, I had pretty good luck pulling decent autographed prospects from it's packs. Adding autographed cards to my collection of Jacoby Ellsbury, Ryan Braun, Marcell Ozuna, Evan Longoria, Jurickson Profar and of course...


The next year, a pack of Bowman Draft brought me a Kershaw Gold Refractor!

Needless to say, I was a fan of the product, and was a card release I fondly looked forward to each year.

For 2018, I was planning on buying some of the 2018 Bowman Draft for old times sake. But wasn't interested in paying the huge price for a full box. This year I'd be satisfied with a few packs, just to get a good sample of the product.


And at $15 per Jumbo, I didn't need a whole lot of it...

When I made my happy purchase on National Hobby Shop Day, which you can read all about here, I was given 12 tickets to the store's monthly drawing for card related prizes. I actively decided to not forget about it this month, as I usually re-found my tickets long after each month's drawing, missing out on some possible good luck.

The shop was filled with people when I got there, 10 minutes before winning numbers were pulled. I found the Bowman Draft wax on the shelf that I was going to buy, just as soon as the drawing was held. Then I stood off in the corner, looked at my phone and waited. The amount of people in the small space drumming up some real anxiety quick...

None of my ticket numbers were called in the drawing, so I grabbed the remains of the 2018 Bowman Draft Jumbo Box (which had 5 packs left inside), and waited in line to pay for them.

As I waited, my intended purchase alerted a pasty-faced scrawny man, with a bad trainers mustache and faded Twins cap to come over, stand next to me and critique 2018 Bowman Draft for me...

"There's no good players in it this year!" the unwelcome man said.

"This guy isn't any good..." He added while tapping the picture of Alec Bohm on the partial box I held in my hand.

I shot him a look that should have told him that I had zero interest in his opinions, and that he needed to go away. But he's too stupid and lacking in social skills to understand that I don't want or need his take on what I was buying. So he continues on...

"And this guy sucks..." Tapping on Casey Mize's picture. I move up closer to the register, allowing another person to get between us, but Mr. Helpful wont shut up... "There's no decent autographs in it this year either!"

Ignoring that, I paid for the partial box and started towards the door.

"Are you going to open them in the store? You should so we can all see what you get!" I told him that I was bringing them home. "No, you should open them here! I want to know what you get?"

Gee, I thought there were no good cards in the set and the players sucked and all that... But you want to see who was hidden behind it's wrappers? Guess what, since you are watching me leave the store, and I can see you looking at me getting into my car from the window, I'm going to open all 5 packs while sitting in my car, within your view! That way, you can watch me open them, but not see a single card I get!

You're gonna take the fun out of me buying them? 

Well, I'm gonna rob you of the fun of seeing the reveal!

Some collectors are obnoxious to be around and an embarrassment to the hobby...

Onto those Bowman Draft Jumbo Packs!

There are 32 cards in each pack, and I'm not going to list all of them. I will show my favorite cards from each pack. (9 cards per album page, which fits on the flatbed scanner!) That should be good enough...

Pack One!


Alec Bohm - Phillies

I don't care if he sucks. I remember his name from the 2018 Amateur Draft, and wanted his card.

The thing about Bowman Draft that I've always liked, is that I do follow each year's Draft in June, and this set is typically the first chance I'll get to see cards of those players in Major League uniforms. Even if they are Photoshopped...


Nick Madrigal - White Sox

Another name I remember from the draft...


Nick Madrigal - White Sox

A Chrome refractor of the same card. Each Jumbo Pack contained two Chrome Refractors. I have zero problem with that. They are very nice cards!


Anthony Seigler - Yankees

The other Chrome Refractor, I've never heard of Seigler.


Brandon McKay - Rays

When the Twins had the top pick in the 2017 Draft, McKay's name was widely linked to be that pick. Minnesota went with Lewis and McKay fell to #4 with Tampa Bay. McKay is also trying to duplicate what Ohtani did with the Angels, by playing first base, but also pitching. I'm interested to follow his career and see how that works out for him...


Grant Lavigne - Rockies

Colorado's second pick in 2018, out of Bedford High School in New Hampshire. He put up good numbers as a first basemen at Rookie Level Grand Junction (CO), and will be one to follow...


Ryan Villade - Rockies

The Rockies 2nd Round pick in 2017 had a decent season at low A Asheville, playing shortstop. Time will tell how his game develops.


Ryan Weathers - Padres

Wow, this card scanned awfully... 

Apparently a gimmick insert in this year's Bowman Draft is a throwback to 1998 Bowman. A set I really didn't care for.


Alek Thomas - Diamondbacks

Arizona's 2nd Round pick in 2018 got off to a decent start as an 18 year old, with an .858 OPS spread between two levels...

I have a feeling I'm going to see more of him...

Pack Two!


Alek Thomas - Diamondbacks

Like a Blue Refractor, numbered 398/402?


Alek Thomas / Jake McCarthy - Diamondbacks

Or this Franchise Futures insert card. I like these, but am NOT a D-Bags fan... Though, judging from their offseason so far, the Rockies wont have them to worry about in the national League West in 2019...


Grant Witherspoon - Rays

Speaking of Colorado, this Chrome Refractor features someone born in Littleton. Likely playing his high school ball within eyesight of my old apartment! Tampa's 2018 4th Round pick didn't have a great debut, but is another player I'll keep an eye on...


Ian Anderson - Braves

Nice Chromey Referactory card of another top Atlanta pitching prospect...


Justin Dunn - Mets

Recently traded to the Seattle Mariners in the Robinson Cano deal. Obviously too soon for an update card.


Blayne Enlow - Twins

Enlow was a 2nd Round pick in 2017, and has started his career out okay. He's not been a light's out pitching prospect, but there's room to grow.


Alex Kiriloff - Twins

Minnesota's 1st Round pick in 2016 had a monster 2018, after missing all of 2017 due to injury. The guy can hit, posting a .970 OPS over 561 plate appearances in both low and high A ball. Starting the 2019 season at AA Pensacola (FL) should happen, and he could move quick.


Brusdar Graterol - Twins

Now 20 years of age, Graterol is the Twins #3 prospect, after signing in 2015 as a 16 year old out of Venezuela. This is my first Graterol card, so I was happy to get it from these packs.


Terrin Vavra - Rockies

Colorado's 3rd Round pick out of the University of Minnesota, is the son of former Twins coach, Joe Vavra. Is there much more of a reason for me to follow his career? He hit pretty well in his first pro exposure, posting a .863 OPS in just under 200 plate appearances.

Pack Three!


Pavin Smith - Diamondbacks

Arizona's 1st Round pick in 2017 hasn't hit as well as predicted...


Brady Singer - Royals

I was hoping Singer would have fallen to the Twins pick in the 2018 draft, but he went to Kansas City a few picks earlier. I did get Singer's card, but didn't get the Twins eventual 1st rounder, Trevor Larnach, from the set. Which is one I really wanted...


Heliot Ramos - Giants

The Giants 1st Round pick of 2017 hasn't hit as well as I'm sure San Francisco would have liked. But I like the name Heliot. A whole more than I like the Giants...


Ezequiel Pagan - Cubs

Didn't put up much for numbers in his first professional season, but I liked the picture. Sometimes that's all you need to have a spot in my 3 ring binders...


J.B. Bukauskas - Astros

A funny name sometimes helps too... Bukauskas put up some interesting numbers when he pitched, but missed much of the last season with injuries. I will likely pay attention to how his 2019 goes, as it looks like he cold make an impression in Houston. And they are going to need some help after their stars leaving over the next few seasons.


Michel Baez - Padres

A Padres signing out of Cuba, in Chrome Refractor form. He's going to have to improve his control in order to be a productive member of the Padres rotation. But the strikeouts are there.


Nate Pearson - Blue Jays

Interesting numbers put up by the former 1st Rounder. Very stingy with the walks and hits, and a lot of strikeouts, but durability hasn't been there. I'm adding him to my watch in 2019 list...


Alek Thomas - Diamondbacks

He's back! In Chrome form!


Alec Bohm

And so is that guy who sucks! In 1998 form!

Pack Four!


Ryan Weathers - Padres

You may remember Weathers from that terrible scan of his 1998 Bowman Chrome card... You also may remember his father pitching for multiple teams in the 1990's and 2000's... Drafted 7th overall in 2018, his season didn't turn out that great, posting a 7.85 ERA in 18 innings. There's a lot to improve on there...


Sixto Sanchez - Phillies

I'm a fan of Sixto since I pulled his autograph out of Bowman Chrome last year. One of the Phillies top pitching prospects, it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few seasons.


Logan Gilbert - Mariners

The 14th overall pick in the 2018 Draft didn't pitch after being drafted, with the Mariners shutting him down after contracting Mononucleosis... Watch out who you kiss, Logan!


Jarred Kelenic / Carlos Cortes - Mets

This is a little better than the Diamondbacks Franchise Futures card I pulled earlier, although Kelenic is now a part of the Seattle Mariners Franchise Future, thanks to Cano as well...


Braxton Ashcraft - Pirates

Pittsburgh's 2nd Round pick in 2018, wearing his Chrome Refractor costume. His 2018 debut was pretty decent, showing some potential the Pirates are going to need.


Logan Allen - Padres

Part of the Greg Kimbrel trade with the Boston Red Sox in 2016, which seems like forever ago... But Allen has put up good numbers as he's risen through the Padres minor league system, and could make an impression next year.


Keston Hiura - Brewers

Milwaukee's top prospect, and another nice card to add.


Cadyn Grenier - Orioles

Purple Refractors (66/250) are nice... Baltimore's Competitive Balance 1st Round pick in 2108 had a rough debut, striking out in over a third of his plate appearances with few walks and little to no power... Too bad I didn't get a Purple Refractor of a better player...

Like maybe...


Royce Lewis - Twins

Just a simple base card, but one that I wanted. I'm anxious to see what kind of numbers Lewis will put up as a 20 year old in 2019. His first two seasons going through the Twins system have been very promising, producing a cumulative .799 OPS as a shortstop, after being the 1st overall Draft Pick in 2017.

His cards will always have a home in my collection!

Pack Five! 

The last pack, and no big hits so far... 

Was that pasty-faced, thin mustached annoyance correct about my "investment"? 

Well, not like he'll ever know... (Unless he reads this...)


Hunter Greene - Reds

If it wasn't Lewis going to the Twins, it was heavily predicted to be Greene. Who went 2nd overall to the Reds, and has already gone down to the dreaded Tommy John surgery. He'll be back, and should continue to be a top prospect once he returns. But the early indications weren't that great for Cincinnati.


MacKenzie Gore - Padres

Gore went 3rd overall in 2017, and put up much better numbers than Greene. While I was glad the Twins took Lewis, I wouldn't have been upset with Gore going to Minnesota either.


Kody Clemens - Tigers

Another of Roger's kids, Kody signed with the Tigers as a 3rd Round pick in 2018.  While not showing much power, he looked to have the ability to take a walk. Be interesting to see how his career ends up.


Ryan Rolison - Rockies

Colorado's 1st Round pick in 2018, Rolison put up strong numbers in 24 innings with the Grand Junction Rockies, after signing. The Rockies always need pitching, and he could develop into a good one down the road.


Travis Swaggerty - Pirates

Swaggerty was one of the more recognizable names going into the 2018 Draft, but slipped to 10th overall. His debut season was okay, but too many strikeouts and less power than predicted could be a warning sign to Pittsburgh.


Brice Turang - Brewers

Another of the top names going into the 2018 Draft, Turang slipped all the way to 21st overall. While not disappointing, I'd expected better numbers than Turang put up in 200 plate appearances in the lowest levels of the Brewers system. I remember his father, Brian, playing a role on the Seattle Mariners teams I followed closely in the mid-1990's.


Jayson Schroeder - Astros

The Astros 2nd Round pick in 2018, fared okay in his debut, but too many walks are never a good sign. At least it's a Refractor, or I wouldn't have given this card the time of day...


Greg Deichmann - Athletics

Bowman has given me a lot of Deichmann cards this year, so I'll gladly take a Chrome Refractor. His hitting numbers have been all over the place in his 2 year career. I don't predict stardom here, but he may become a handy 4th outfielder at some point. He was drafted by the Twins in 2016, but didn't sign. I just found that out!


Joe Gray / Alek Thomas - Recommended Viewing

There's room for one more Alek Thomas card I guess...


So there you have it. That's my experience with 2018 Bowman Draft.

I defied the odds and did not get one autographed card in my 5 Jumbo Packs. Looking at the box, it contained 12 packs, with three autographs per box. I'd thought my odds of getting one were pretty good, but I guess I was wrong...

But I wasn't necessarily going into this hoping to get the top autographed and serial numbered draft pick card. Even if I did, I wasn't going to sell it, so it doesn't matter anyways. Yeah, it's disappointing to spend that much money on a bunch of cards that I could never recoup that value from, but that wasn't my point going in. The point of buying this brand -for me- was always about collecting new cards of the top draft picks of the last couple of years. Which I got, and am happy about.

Nothing Earth shattering, but stuff I personally liked.

That would also make the pasty-faced, mustached Twins hat wearing guy correct. 

Too bad he'll never know it!

Comments

Someone else liked these...

Abandoned Movie - Kitty's South (The Webber Theater) - Denver, CO

Our Happy Birfday Fan Zone Fun Time Whatever - St. Cloud MN

What Happened to Clark's Submarine Sandwich?

Dinner Break! - Burger King - St. Cloud, MN

Abandoned Mall: Villa Italia Mall - Lakewood, CO

Abandoned Retail - Brookdale Mall, Sears & Perkins!

Ghosts of Riverdale Past - Coon Rapids, MN

Grumpies... The Coolest Coon Rapids Has Ever Been!

Abandoned WalMarts over Apache Plaza

Abandoned Retail - Target - Coon Rapids, MN